Vegan Masala Smashed Potatoes
These Masala Smashed Potatoes are crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside, and they're flavored with a heady mix of spices and scallions. A vegan, gluten-free recipe.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time1 hr 5 mins
Servings: 8 servings
- 16 inch small red or yellow potatoes mine were about 1 1/2 in diameter
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic peeled and smashed and chopped coarsely
- 1/2 tsp curry powder garam masala is a fine substitute
- 1/2 tsp chaat masala optional-- you can sub with 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp finely minced coriander or cilantro leaves
- Salt to taste
- Minced scallions or spring onions for garnish (optional, but try and use if you can-- the oniony flavor is marvelous with the potatoes)
Place the potatoes in a large pot of salted cold water, enough to cover the potatoes by an inch. Bring the water to a boil, cover the pot, and let the potatoes cook 8-10 minutes until they are fork-tender.
Drain the potatoes and set them aside.
In a small saucepan, heat the oil with the garlic. Saute the garlic until it begins to turn color. Turn off the heat and discard the garlic. Add all of spices-- curry powder, chaat masala, turmeric, paprika -- and the salt and coriander leaves to the oil. Mix well.
Spray a large baking sheet, or two smaller ones, with oil.
Place the potatoes on the sheet, a couple of inches apart. With the heel of your hand, flatten the potatoes, taking care not to break them.
Dab the masala oil on to the potatoes with a brush.
Bake in a preheated 425-degree oven for 45 minutes or until golden on top.
Remove to a plate, sprinkle on the scallions, and serve hot.