A roasted squash dip with middle eastern flavors and za'atar. This is a vegan, low-fat, gluten-free recipe.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time55 mins
- 1 very large yellow squash or two medium squashes. Zucchini would also work for this.
- 1 head of garlic. Slice off the top to expose the tops of the cloves.
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1/2 tsp za'atar plus more for sprinkling on top
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
Cut the squash into 2-inch pieces. In a bowl, mix the squash with the olive oil and some salt and pepper. Do not peel the squash-- the roasted skins offer a lot of flavor, not to mention nutrition.
Spread the squash evenly on a baking sheet and roast in a preheated 450-degree oven for 40 minutes until very tender. Spray the garlic bulb with some oil, wrap in aluminum foil, and place in a corner of the baking sheet before placing it in the oven.
Let the squash and garlic cool. Place the squash in a food processor. Squeeze out the roasted garlic into the food processor.
Add the tahini, za'atar, lemon juice, red pepper flakes and salt to taste and blitz until smooth.
Serve with pita or other chips, or crudites.