Bean Bulgur Salad With Pesto, Fat-Free
Cook Time1 hr
Total Time1 hr
Servings: 8 servings
- 11/2 cups dry Great Northern beans (approximately 5 cups cooked). You can use canned.
- 1/2 cup dry bulgur
- 2 ripe mangoes, seed removed and chopped into a fine dice.
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/4 red onion optional, minced
- 2 cups roasted or steamed corn
- 2 packed cups of spinach, cut into ribbons
- For the pesto:
- 1 1/2 cups packed spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup basil
- 1 cup canned chickpeas
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp ground black peppers
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Salt to taste
- Juice of 1 lemon
Cook the beans if using dry, by covering the beans with an inch of water, bringing it to a boil, covering and letting them cook until they are fork-tender but still holding their shape. This might take more than an hour, although the process would be much quicker in a pressure cooker. Drain and set aside.
Cook the bulgur by placing in a saucepan with 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil, cover, and lower the heat to a simmer. Let the bulgur cook for 15 minutes and turn off the heat.
Make the pesto by placing all of the pesto ingredients in a blender or food processor. Add a few tablespoons of water and process into a fairly smooth paste.
In a large bowl, mix the bulgur, beans, spinach, corn and pesto.
Add the mangoes, onion and tomatoes and stir to mix.
Serve warm or cold.
Calories: 315kcal | Protein: 15.2g | Fiber: 15.4g