Baked Asparagus Pakoras
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 24 stalks of asparagus, hard ends trimmed. If you're unsure about how to do this, all you have to do is hold the asparagus by your fingers, one end in each hand, and bend. The asparagus will snap off exactly where the soft stalk ends and the hard portion starts.
- 3/4 cup of chickpea or besan
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, coarsely ground
- 1 tsp paprika or another chili powder. Use spicier types like cayenne if you like a lot of heat
- 1 tsp garlic powder, optional, but nice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- Oil for spraying
Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper and spray with oil to coat the surface.
Mix all the ingredients (except oil and asparagus) in a bowl and add enough water to make a thick batter, about the consistency of a pancake batter.
Dip the asparagus stalks, one at a time, in the batter making sure it's evenly coated. Lay the stalks side by side, without touching, on the baking sheet.
Spray once more with oil to coat the tops.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and bake the asparagus stalks for 15-20 minutes or until the besan coating is golden.
Remove the baking sheet and carefully lift out the asparagus stalks with a pair of tongs.
Serve hot or warm.
Calories: 112kcal | Protein: 6.3g | Fiber: 4.2g