This succulent, saucy and spicy dish of Chili Tofu is based off an Indo-Chinese recipe, and flavored with tamari, ginger, garlic, coriander and cumin, making it the perfect blend of these two distinctive cuisines. Serve with rice or lo mein or Mandarin pancakes for a tasty dinner.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 14 oz extra-firm tofu (swaddle the tofu block in paper towels and place in a colander for 30 minutes with a heavy weight on top, like a saucepan, to press our any water.). Cut the tofu into 1-inch cubes and coat with the marinade (recipe below).
- 1 large green bell pepper (sliced. You can use other colors, but I just love the flavor of green pepper in this dish)
- 1 serrano pepper (or any other moderately hot chili pepper, minced)
- 3 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 large large onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 tsp garlic (grated)
- 1 tsp ginger (grated)
- 1 tsp cornstarch (mixed into 1/4 cup water)
- 1-2 tbsp tamari (can use soy sauce instead)
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp cilantro (finely chopped)
For the marinade:
- 1 tsp garlic (crushed into a paste)
- 1 tsp ginger (crushed into a paste)
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp tamari (can use soy sauce instead)
Mix the marinade ingredients with enough water to make a paste. Toss the tofu cubes in it to coat.
Heat 2 tsp of the oil in a nonstick or cast-iron pan. Saute the tofu cubes on all sides until they are golden-brown. Remove to a plate.
Heat the remaining 1 tsp of oil and add the cumin seeds. When they sputter, add the ginger and garlic and onion.
Saute until the onion becomes transparent. Now add the coriander powder, black pepper, and minced green chilli. Toss to coat with the spices and then add the green pepper.
Stir-fry until the bell pepper starts to soften but still has a good bite to it. Now add the tofu cubes and toss them with the spices. Add the tamari or soy sauce and the cornflour mixed with water (this will give the tofu a nice glaze). Stir until well mixed and remove from the heat.
Toss in the coriander and serve hot.
Calories: 238kcal | Carbohydrates: 13.3g | Protein: 22.4g | Fat: 11.9g | Sodium: 396mg | Potassium: 117mg | Fiber: 3.6g | Sugar: 2.2g | Vitamin A: 700IU | Vitamin C: 56.9mg | Calcium: 160mg | Iron: 4.1mg