Ezhukari Kuzhambu (Kadamba Sambar)
Prep Time25 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time1 hr 10 mins
- 5 small eggplants , diced, or 1/2 large one, diced
- 1 cup red pumpkin , diced
- 1 medium potato , diced
- 1 sweet potato , diced
- 1 plantain , diced
- 3/4 cup okra , cut into 1-cm rings (I used frozen)
- 3/4 cup green beans , cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large lemon-sized ball tamarind , soaked in 1 cup of water for a few minutes. Extract the juice by crushing the tamarind between your fingers, and discard the solids.
- 1 tbsp sambar powder
- 1 cup pink lentils or masoor dal, cooked until tender (you can substitute with tuvar dal)
- For the ground masala:
- 1 tsp vegetable oil (or any other vegetable oil except olive)
- 1/4 cup coriander seeds
- 1/8 cup chana dal or bengal gram
- 3 dry red chilies (use more if you like more heat in your kuzhambu)
- 1 cup coconut milk (I used canned)
- For the tempering:
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 generous pinch of asafetida
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 10-15 curry leaves
To make the ground masala, fry the coriander seds, chana dal and red chilies in the oil until lightly golden and then grind into a fairly smooth paste with the coconut milk, adding a little water if necessary.
Cook all the vegetables until they are almost tender (I zapped them in the microwave with about a cupful of water for about 8 minutes)
Put the vegetables into a large saucepan over medium heat.
Add the tamarind water and cook another 2-3 minutes
Now add the cooked dal, sambar powder, and the ground masala paste. Give it all a good stir and allow it to come to a boil.
Add salt to taste. If the kuzhambu is too thick, add some water.
Let the kuzhambu or sambar cook on a low heat for about 10 minutes, turn off heat.
Heat the oil for tempering and add the remaining tempering ingredients.
When the mustard seeds crackle, take the tempering off the heat and add it to the sambar.
Garnish the sambar with coriander leaves. Serve hot with rice and poppadum.
Calories: 309kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 12.25g | Fat: 8.67g | Saturated Fat: 6.38g | Potassium: 1355.45mg | Fiber: 20.26g | Sugar: 15.58g | Vitamin A: 3016.5IU | Vitamin C: 45.9mg | Calcium: 100.63mg | Iron: 5.38mg