Vegan Amaretti Cookies
These Italian vegan Amaretti cookies are chewy, crispy and soft as a cloud. They need just six pantry ingredients and the cookie batter takes all of five minutes to put together.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
Diet: Gluten Free, Vegan, Vegetarian
Servings: 24 cookies
- 3 cups almond flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar (If using turbinado or another sugar that's coarse, run briefly through food processor first to powder)
- 4 tablespoons corn starch or tapioca starch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup lukewarm water
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (or almond liqueur like Amaretto)
- ¼ cup powdered sugar (to dust over cookies)
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare one or two baking sheets by lining with parchment papers or silpat.
Whisk the almond flour, corn starch, sugar and salt in a large bowl.
Mix the apple cider vinegar and almond extract with the lukewarm water.
Pour the water-acv mixture into the almond flour mixture and mix with a spatula. The dough will be a bit wetter than regular amaretti cookie dough but that's okay. The looser dough will help make the cookies lighter without the eggs.
Use a one-tablespoon cookie scoop to scoop out the cookies, an inch apart, on the prepared baking sheet.
Dust the cookies with powdered sugar, if using. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, rotating the cookie sheet once halfway through.
Let the baked cookies stand five minutes. Then gently transfer to a rack so they can continue cooling.
- The cookie dough for these vegan amaretti cookies will be a little looser than the dough for amaretti made with egg whites. The moisture is essential for the lift that egg whites would otherwise give.
- The cookies are soft and chewy the day they are made but will crisp up over the coming days while remaining soft inside.
- Since these cookies are eggless, you can store them at room temperature for up to a week. You can also refrigerate them for three weeks. To freeze the cookies, flash-freeze them first, then freeze in a freezer-safe bag or airtight container.
Serving: 1vegan amaretti cookie | Calories: 122kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 0.5g | Sodium: 24mg | Potassium: 1mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 10g | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 1mg