I love all things almond, and amaretto cookies are right up there at the top of my list.With a crispy, crumbly exterior and a chewy inside, these cookies, which are made mostly with almonds and which bedazzle you with their almond-y flavor, are a delicious treat from Italy.
Veganizing these cookies was a bit of a challenge. Amaretti cookies are usually flourless, and the almonds, ground into a flour (or sometimes paste), are bound by frothy egg whites which also give the cookies their light airiness.
As egg whites are not for me, I used a small amount of whole-wheat pastry flour, just half a cup, and some egg replacer powder to bind them. They worked perfectly.
More vegan cookie recipes
- Amaretti Cookies, vegan and gluten-free
- Vegan Shortbread Cookies
- Vegan White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies
- Vegan Death by Chocolate Cookies
- Vegan Gingersnap Cookies
Vegan Amaretti Cookies
- 1 ½ cups almond flour (around 1 cup of almonds, processed to a powder in a food processor)
- ½ cup wholewheat pastry flour (can substitute with all-purpose)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 3 tsp EnerG egg replacer powder mixed with 4 tbsp water
- ¾ cup powdered sugar (I like my ookies a little less cloyingly sweet but add a whole cup if you like them sweet)
- Mix together the almond flour, pastry flour and baking powder.
- In a food processor, or by hand, add to the flour mixture the sugar, the two extracts, and the egg-replacer mixture. If using a food processor, pulse a few times to mix the ingredients.
- The dough will be sticky. With a teaspoon, place rounded mounds of the mixture on a cookie sheet greased well, or covered with parchment paper and then greased.
- Bake in a preheated 300-degree oven about 25-30 minutes until the tops are lightly browned, and the bottoms are a deeper, richer golden-brown.
- Place the sheet on a rack to cool about 10 minutes. Then, using a thin spatula, remove the cookies from the cookie sheet and place directly on the rack to cool thoroughly.
- When cooled, sprinkle tops with some powdered confectioners sugar.