Easy Vegan Thai Yellow Curry
A creamy, coconutty Thai Yellow Curry with yellow curry paste and veggies
Servings: 6 servings
- ½ cup cashews (soaked in 1 cup of water for 30 minutes,then blended into a very smooth paste)
- 1 medium red onion, (finely diced(
- 14 oz black beans (canned, rinsed and drained)
- 2 cups frozen veggies (Try and buy diced frozen veggies. I used a mix of red and green peppers, corn and carrots)
- 2 spring onions (white and green parts chopped)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (or 2 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoon Thai yellow curry paste (recipe follows)
For Thai yellow curry paste
- 2 hot red chilies, (like Thai bird's eye chilies or just use serrano)
- 2 stalks lemongrass (use juice of 2 limes and their zest as a substitute)
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 2 shallots
- 1-inch piece galangal (use ginger if you can't find this)
- 1 small plum tomato
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1- inch piece of cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 cup coconut milk
Make the curry paste
Place all ingredients and ½ cup of the coconut milk in a blender bowl. Blitz into a smooth paste, adding more coconut milk if needed to keep the blades moving.
Store in an airtight container in the freezer.
Make the Thai yellow curry
Place 2 tablespoon of the curry paste in a large saucepan, along with the coconut oil.
Heat together, stirring often, until the curry paste darkens slightly, about 2-3 minutes.
Add the onions and a pinch of salt and cook until they are translucent, 3-4 minutes.
Add basil, beans and vegetables and stir to mix well. Let the vegetables heat through.
Add the cashew paste along with enough water to thin out the curry to your liking. Let it heat through on a medium-low flame. Add the lemon juice.
Turn off the heat, garnish with spring onions, and serve hot.
Calories: 329kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Potassium: 725mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 3218IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 85mg | Iron: 6mg