Vegan Corn Fritters, Fat-Free
Crispy, crunchy vegan corn fritters. Leeks and garlic greens add flavor and brown rice flour and cornmeal help these bind without any eggs. A vegan, gluten-free, soy-free and nut-free recipe.
Servings: 6 servings (4 fritters each)
- 2 cups sweet corn (frozen, thaw before using)
- ¼ cup leeks (finely chopped.Can substitute shallots or spring onions)
- ¼ cup chives (finely chopped)
- ¼ cup garlic greens (optional. Can sub with 2 tsp of minced garlic if you don't have these)
- ¼ cup cilantro (finely chopped)
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- ½ cup stone ground corn meal
- ½ cup water (be prepared to add more or less)
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
Heat a cast-iron or non-stick skillet and spray evenly with a fat-free vegetable oil spray. Alternately, brush the surface lightly with a thin coating of oil.
Mix all the ingredients, adding the water slowly, until you have a batter that's fluid but firm enough that you can scoop it up with your fingertips and drop into a skillet.
Drop enough fritters into the pan so you have fritters that are thin, almost pancakey, because you want them to cook through. Cook on medium heat until the bottom turns a rich golden-brown.
Flip over and cook the other side until golden.
Serve hot with a chutney or ketchup.
Serving: 4fritters | Calories: 152kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 4mg | Potassium: 212mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 316IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 10mg | Iron: 1mg