Mashed Orange Sweet Potatoes
These four-ingredient vegan orange mashed sweet potatoes take all of five minutes of hands-on time to make. They are a crowd pleaser and they are gluten-free, soy-free and nut-free.
Prep Time10 minutes mins
Cook Time30 minutes mins
Total Time40 minutes mins
Diet: Gluten Free, Vegan, Vegetarian
Servings: 6 servings
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- ½ cup orange juice (from one orange or three mandarins, roughly ½ cup. You can use ½ cup store bought orange juice)
- 2 tablespoon vegan butter
- ½ to 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt to taste
Roast sweet potatoes for 30 minutes in a preheated 400-degree oven or until a knife or fork pierced through the center goes cleanly and smoothly through. Peel and place in bowl with orange juice and vegan butter.
Stir in nutmeg. Mix until incorporated.
Optional step: For even fluffier sweet potatoes use a hand mixer or stand mixer to whip the sweet potatoes for a minute.
- To boil the sweet potatoes instead of roasting them, cover with water and boil until the sweet potatoes are tender and a knife goes cleanly through the middle.
- Peel the sweet potatoes after boiling or roasting them, not before.
- Refrigerate and make-ahead: The mashed sweet potatoes will store nicely in the fridge for up to three days, so you can make the dish a day or two ahead.
- Freeze: Freeze the mashed sweet potatoes in an airtight, freezer-safe container or in a freezer safe bag for up to four months.
- Reheat. Thaw and let the sweet potatoes return to room temperature before serving.
Calories: 141kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Potassium: 424mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 16073IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 37mg | Iron: 1mg