Chocolate Coconut Cookie Bars, vegan, gluten-free
These Chocolate Coconut Cookie Bars have twice the chocolate and coconut flakes for oodles of deliciousness. They have no added fats, and are gluten-free, soy-free and vegan, of course.
Servings: 12 cookies
- 1 ½ cups superfine almond flour
- ½ cup vegan turbinado or cane sugar or maple syrup
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup bittersweet or dark chocolate chips
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- ¼ cup aquafaba or chickpea brine (you can sub applesauce if you wish, but your cookies will be more tender and they could require a couple of extra minutes of baking time)
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Place all of the ingredients except the chocolate chips and coconut flakes in a bowl or in the bowl of a food processor. Mix or pulse until everything comes together.
Add the chocolate chips and coconut flakes and mix until combined. If you are doing this in a food processor, just pulse a couple of times until everything is mixed.
Line a 9 X 9 inch glass or metal baking pan with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray.
Pat the batter evenly into the pan. This batter is a little dry, but it should be moist enough to hold together when balled. If it's too dry, sprinkle on some aquafaba and mix.
Place the pan in the preheated oven and bake 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cool thoroughly on a rack, then cut into squares.
Serving: 1bar | Calories: 144kcal | Protein: 2.3g | Fat: 7g | Fiber: 1.9g | Sugar: 15.5g | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 0.4mg