Garlicky Asparagus Pasta
This Garlicky Asparagus Pasta with Cashew Parmesan is beautifully complex, with notes of spicy, salty and tangy. The asparagus adds texture and healthfulness, and the salty, tasty cashew parmesan adds the perfect kick of flavor.
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 pound dry pasta
- 1 ½ pounds asparagus stalks, trimmed of woody ends and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 8 large cloves garlic, crushed (about 3 heaping tablespoons). Sounds like a lot, I know, but it's delicious in here.
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (use more or less based on your tolerance for heat)
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- A few tablespoons of vegan parmesan cheese for sprinkling (recipe link in notes below)
- 2 tablespoon chopped parsley, optional, for garnish
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil, add pasta and cook until al dente.
While the pasta is cooking, add the olive oil and garlic to a large pot and turn on the heat to medium-low. Adding the garlic to the cold oil and letting them heat up together will allow the garlicky flavor to better infuse the oil without burning the garlic. Doing this over low heat is also important. It will take about 7-8 minutes for the garlic to start changing color.
At that point, add the red pepper flakes and oregano to the oil, stir to mix, then add the asparagus. Add salt and ground black pepper to season and cook five minutes or until the asparagus is cooked but still has a good bite to it.
Turn off the heat, add the pasta to the pot, then add ¼ cup of the pasta cooking water. Add lemon juice and zest. Mix thoroughly and add more salt if needed. Garnish with parsley, if desired, and serve with a bowl of cashew parm on the side to sprinkle over the pasta.
- Recipe for vegan parmesan
- Nutrition information does not include vegan parmesan
Calories: 262kcal | Carbohydrates: 48.6g | Protein: 8.5g | Fat: 4.7g | Potassium: 221mg | Fiber: 4.2g | Sugar: 2.7g | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 4mg