A four-ingredient vegan Parmesan Cheese that is dairy free but tastes amazingly authentic! You will want to sprinkle it over everything you eat, but pastas and salads are a great start. 🙂 A vegan, gluten-free and soy-free recipe.
Since I became a vegan eons ago, I have gotten used to eating pastas without the cheese, and I have no complaints. Most vegan pastas are so flavorful, filled with nuts, veggies, beans, and herbs, that they don't really need that cheese. But when I make some super-simple pastas, like Aglio e Olio, I love a dash of something salty and cheesy to top it with. And this gorgeous Vegan Cashew Parmesan fits that bill beautifully.
There are just four ingredients in this vegan parmesan, in addition to salt and pepper.
- Cashew nuts
- Nutritional yeast
- Garlic powder
Better still, it takes literally two minutes to zap it up in your food processor. And you can control the consistency. I like my cashew parm coarse with some texture, but if you like yours super-fine, blitz it all a little longer.
The cashew also adds some extra protein to the recipe, so what's not to love?
Recipes to make with vegan parmesan
Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- 1 cup raw cashews or cashew pieces
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon garlic powder (add less to begin with and add more if you like a greater kick to your parm)
- 1 teaspoon oregano (doesn't sound like it belongs in parm, I know, but it adds that extra something without screaming, I'm here!)
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and blitz until powdered. Check the texture every few seconds to ensure it is where you want it to be. I like my parm coarsely textured, but you can make this very powdery as well by blitzing longer.
- Frugal tip: You can sub half the cashews with a couple of slices of day-old bread. Run through the food processor with the other ingredients and season as needed with salt and pepper.