Vegan Pecan Pie Bars
Gluten-free and vegan Pecan Pie Bars with a crunchy toffee-caramel-pecan topping. On the bottom is a delicious layer of almond shortbread.
Servings: 16 pecan bars
For the gf cookie base:
- 1 ½ cups superfine almond flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons corn starch (can sub with rice flour)
- ½ cup sugar (Use an equal amount of maple syrup as a substitute. For a paleo-friendly bar, use coconut sugar or coconut palm syrup)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons non dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the caramel pecan topping:
- 1 cup pecans (coarsely chopped)
- 4 tablespoon vegan butter (cold vegan butter is fine, as it will melt in the pan)
- 1 tablespoon nondairy milk (I used almond)
- ½ cup turbinado sugar (vegan cane sugar is a good substitute)
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare an 8 X 8 baking pan by lining the bottom and sides with parchment paper.
Place all of the ingredients for the cookie base or crust in a food processor and pulse a few times until the dough comes together. Press the dough into the prepared baking pan using your fingers, until you have an even layer.
Place the baking pan in the oven and bake the crust for 15 minutes.
While the crust is baking, make the topping by placing all ingredients except the pecans in a saucepan. Stir to help the sugar melt. Let the mixture reach a boil, continue to let it boil for a minute, then turn off the heat and add the pecans.
Pour the pecan topping evenly over the baked crust and return to the oven for 15 more minutes.
Remove the baking pan and cool it thoroughly on a rack. You can cut the bars at this point, or transfer the baking pan to a refrigerator and let it cool for at least a couple of hours before cutting.
- You can make the almond shortbread crust without any oil. It will be a little more brittle but it will still be extremely tasty!
- Try using other nuts, like walnuts or sliced almonds, for differently delicious bars!
- You can keep these vegan pecan pie squares in a container at room temperature for three days and store in the fridge for up to a week. You can also freeze the pecan bars for up to three months. Wrap the bars individually in aluminum foil or freezer safe cling wrap before freezing.
Serving: 1vegan pecan bar | Calories: 206kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 78mg | Potassium: 44mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 15IU | Vitamin C: 0.3mg | Calcium: 37mg | Iron: 1mg