Vegan Sausage Rolls
These delicious and easy vegan sausage rolls, with golden, flaky puff pastry enclosing a savory, herby filling, come together in minutes. They make a fun addition to your child's -- or your -- lunchbox, and are soy-free and nut-free.
Servings: 12 rolls
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion (very finely diced -- you don't want large pieces in the filling)
- 2 cloves garlic (very finely minced)
- 4 vegan sausages (I used Field Roast's Smoked Apple Sage which is 368 grams. Run the sausages through the food processor to crumble it into small bits-- you can do this by hand, but I find it much easier to do in the processor)
- 1 tsp dry sage (there's already sage in the sausages I used, but I wanted more sage-y flavor. Use more or less depending on your taste)
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- Ground black pepper and salt to taste
- 2 sheets puff pastry (thawed)
Heat the oil in a skillet. Add the onions and garlic, season with salt and pepper, and saute until the onions are translucent.
Add the crumbled vegan sausage, bread crumbs and the sage and mix together well. Check if you need more salt and pepper and add if necessary. Turn off the heat.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F
Take one puff pastry sheet and lay it flat on the counter or your work surface. You can either use this as is, or roll just slightly, until a couple of inches longer. Using the three folds in the puff pastry as a guide, use a pizza cutter to cut the sheet into three, then cut each piece in half horizontally so you have six squares of puff pastry, each about five inches square.
Divide the filling into 12, and make an oblong ball (it will be crumbly but will hold together) with each portion.
Dab a little water along one of the edges of each puff pastry square. Place the filling inside the puff pastry close to the other edge and roll as tightly as possible, pressing down at the end to seal the seam. Place the sausage roll, seam side down, on a baking sheet. Repeat for the rest of the filling and puff pastry.
Place the sausage rolls in the hot oven and bake 22-25 minutes or until golden-brown. I like to brush on a mix of 1 tsp oil and 1 tsp nondairy milk on the tops of the rolls for a little extra color.
Serve hot, warm or at room temperature.
Serving: 1roll | Calories: 330kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 135mg | Potassium: 47mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 17mg | Iron: 5mg