Curry-Glazed Carrot Tofu Tacos
A blend of several cuisines goes into making these delicious, sweet-salty-spicy-sour Curry-Glazed Carrot Tofu Tacos. Vegan. The glazed tofu and carrots are gluten-free and can be served with gluten-free tacos.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 14- oz package extra-firm tofu. Set in a colander to drain for about 30 minutes preferably with some weight on top. Then slice into four.
- 2 inch medium carrots cut into 1/8th rounds
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- For the glaze:
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tsp chili garlic paste
- 2 tsp curry powder or use garam masala powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp powdered ginger substitute with 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 6 whole wheat tacos or gluten-free tacos
Heat the oil in a non-stick or well-seasoned cast-iron skillet.
Place the slices of tofu in a single layer and cook until lightly browned on both sides.
Remove from the pan and to a chopping board. Cut into 1/2-inch cubes or smaller, if you prefer.
To the pan, add the carrots and onions and season with some salt and pepper (don't over-salt. You'll be adding the tamari later).
Stir fry until the onions start to sweat. Cover the pan and let the carrots and onions cook over medium-low heat for about 5-8 minutes until the carrots are tender but still crunchy.
Add the tofu cubes back to the pan and dump in the glaze. Give everything a good stir but don't mash down too hard on the tofu-- be gentle or you will break it.
Let the glaze reduce over medium-high heat until it coats all of the vegetables and the tofu. The mixture should be quite dry.
Turn off the heat.
To serve, place the tofu-carrot filling in a taco, top with some salsa and some guacamole, and serve.