Imagine a pocket of nutty, toothsome wholegrain bread stuffed with a sweet-sour-salty-spicy mixture of velvety tofu and crisp carrots. Topped with a colorful salsa. All of it stuffed in your mouth.
It doesn't really take a whole lot of imagination to get just how incredible these Curry-Glazed Carrot Tofu Tacos are. And, like everything else I post here at Holy Cow!, they are healthy. And kid-friendly, of course, because you can't ignore the little ones in your life even when you secretly wish they'd just ask for a PBJ for dinner so you could take all of this goodness to the privacy of your bedroom and devour every last bit of it alone. In front of the TV. Mmmmmm.
You know I like recipes that come together quickly on weeknights with a minimum of fuss, and these Curry-Glazed Carrot Tofu Tacos definitely are all that. You pan-fry the tofu slightly, cook the carrots and onions, and then dump in a glaze that reduces to coat the tofu and vegetables with rich, silky, coconutty, gingery deliciousness. In fact, you'll want to eat this glaze by the spoonful from the bowl as you mix it, so watch yourself.
I wrote this post earlier last week, before our small world was devastated by the passing away of my beloved dog, Opie. The wound is still raw: I wake up at nights thinking I heard his collar jingle on the stairs, or catch myself opening the kitchen door to see if he wants to come in from the backyard. But the healing has also begun, thanks in part to the overwhelming love you offered us in this difficult time and your own personal stories of losing beloved animals. Desi and I have loved and lost many animals too, and we know that in time the pain will be replaced by happy memories of Opie and the immense joy he brought into our lives.
On a happier note, as India celebrates the harvest festival, the Indian Supreme Court's decided to stay Jallikattu, a gruesome "tradition" during the festival in the state of Tamil Nadu but actually just a horrible and senseless practice where men try to "tame" bulls by violently poking, kicking, stamping on, and beating them. The court banned Jalikattu in 2014, but the ruling Indian party, the Bharatiya Janata Party -- which has gone to town trying to ban beef across India -- rather hypocritically tried to reinstate it. Hello, guys, the bull's just a male cow, or didn't you know that? If anyone had thought that the BJP government was animal friendly, this should lay that notion firmly to rest.
Vegan Curry-Glazed Carrot Tofu Tacos
- 14 oz extra-firm tofu (water pressed out)
- 2 medium carrots (cut into ⅛th-inch rounds)
- 1 medium onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
For the glaze
- Heat the oil in a non-stick or well-seasoned cast-iron skillet.
- Place the slices of tofu in a single layer and cook until lightly browned on both sides.
- Remove from the pan and to a chopping board. Cut into ½-inch cubes or smaller, if you prefer.
- To the pan, add the carrots and onions and season with some salt and pepper (don't over-salt. You'll be adding the tamari later).
- Stir fry until the onions start to sweat. Cover the pan and let the carrots and onions cook over medium-low heat for about 5-8 minutes until the carrots are tender but still crunchy.
- Add the tofu cubes back to the pan and dump in the glaze. Give everything a good stir but don't mash down too hard on the tofu-- be gentle or you will break it.
- Let the glaze reduce over medium-high heat until it coats all of the vegetables and the tofu. The mixture should be quite dry.
- Turn off the heat.
- To serve, place the tofu-carrot filling in a taco, top with some salsa and some guacamole, and serve.