Healthy Stuffed French Toast
This Stuffed French Toast is as decadent and delicious as breakfast can possibly get, but it's also healthy. Wholegrain bread is slathered with peanut butter, stuffed with fruit, and coated in a scrumptious mixture of chia seeds and maple syrup.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 8 servings
- Eight slices of bread (try my vanilla whole wheat bread which is perfect in this recipe. Recipe link in notes below.)
- 8 ripe strawberries, thinly sliced
- 2 medium bananas, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 1 cup nondairy milk like soy or almond
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp chia seeds, can use 2 tbsp of flaxmeal instead, powdered in a food processor or spice grinder
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup walnuts, crushed to a fairly fine consistency. Some bigger pieces are okay.
- Oil spray to coat the pan
Make the eggless wash by whisking together in a shallow dish the nondairy milk, powdered chia seeds, maple syrup, vanilla, salt, and flour.
Spread some peanut butter on one side of each slice. Then arrange the sliced strawberries and bananas on the buttered side. Place the second side, buttered side down, on top and press down firmly.
Dredge the stuffed toast in the eggless wash, coating the top and bottom sides thoroughly. Then dredge it in the powdered walnuts.
Heat a cast-iron or nonstick griddle or skillet and spray with oil. Place the French Toast on the griddle and toast each side until it's golden-brown. This should take 3-4 minutes per side on medium heat.
Serve hot. The stuffed French Toast is great by itself but it's extra-special with a drizzle of maple syrup.
The toast is quite filling-- one half makes a hearty serving. Nutrition info is for half of each stuffed French toast.
Calories: 283kcal | Protein: 8.8g | Fat: 16.1g | Fiber: 6.4g | Sugar: 8.8g