Railway Mushroom Curry
This Railway Mushroom Curry is so full of flavor, you'll find yourself making it over and over. A vegan, soy-free, nut-free and gluten-free recipe.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp + 1/2 tsp avocado oil (or any vegetable oil)
- 15-20 curry leaves (about 2 sprigs)
- 2 shallots (thinly sliced)
- 4 cloves garlic (crushed and chopped)
- 2 moderately hot dry red chili peppers
- 4 medium potatoes , diced
- 8 oz crimini or baby bella or button mushrooms (quartered)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 medium tomatoes (pureed)
- 2 1/2 - 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves (for garnish)
In a dry, hot skillet, roast the coriander and cumin seeds. Place in a blender.
Heat 1/2 tsp of oil in the skillet. Add the curry leaves, garlic, chili peppers and shallots and saute until brown spots appear on the onions. Add to the blender, add half a cup of vegetable stock, and blend into a very smooth paste.
Heat the remaining 1 tbsp oil in the skillet. Add the potatoes and stir-fry for five minutes until golden spots appear.
Add the mushrooms and turmeric and saute until the mushrooms begin to soften, about 2-3 minutes.
Now add the blended masala and the tomato puree. Cook for about five minutes, stirring frequently, then add 1 1/2 cups of vegetable stock. Check seasoning and add more salt if needed.
Cover and cook about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. If your curry gets too thick, you can thin it out with more vegetable stock.
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
Calories: 224kcal | Carbohydrates: 42.6g | Protein: 6.5g | Fat: 4g | Potassium: 1412mg | Fiber: 6.6g | Sugar: 5.4g | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 2.3mg