Masala Mushroom Curry
A Mushroom Masala Curry that's simple, delicious, and will leave you licking your fingers. Serve with some coconut rice for a healthy and tasty meal. A vegan, gluten-free, soy-free and nut-free recipe.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 12 oz button or crimini mushrooms (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp avocado oil (any vegetable oil is fine)
- 2 shallots (finely chopped-- can use onions instead)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 inch piece ginger
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 small jalapeno or other hot pepper (seeded and chopped. Adjust the amount of heat to your liking by using more or less)
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves or cilantro
- 1/2 tsp tamarind paste
- 2 tbsp coconut milk
- Salt to taste
Place the ginger, garlic and chili pepper in a mortar and pestle and crush into a coarse paste. You can also do this in a food processor.
Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the shallots. Add some salt to draw out the moisture and saute until the onions turn golden-brown.
Add the coriander leaves and ginger-garlic-pepper paste and saute for a couple of minutes until fragrant. Then add the turmeric and garam masala along with the tamarind and the mushrooms. Add a cup of water (vegetable stock, if you have it, is even better) and let the curry come to a boil.
Place a lid on the saucepan and let the mushrooms simmer away for 10 minutes. If the curry looks dry, add more water or vegetable stock.
Add the coconut milk, add more salt if needed, and turn off the heat. Serve hot with rice.