Vegan Sourdough Waffles
Vegan Sourdough Waffles. These waffles are light, airy, crunchy on the outside, whole wheat, and absolutely divine. Serve with some fruit or maple syrup for a delicious breakfast.
Servings: 10 -12 large waffles
- 1 cup unfed sourdough starter
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 cups nondairy milk like vanilla soymilk or vanilla almond milk mixed with 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil I used avocado oil because I didn't want the strong flavor of coconut oil in this
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp flaxmeal + 6 tbsp warm water whisked)
Make the overnight sponge by mixing together the sourdough starter, whole wheat pastry flour, sugar and milk-vinegar mixture in a very large bowl. The dough will expand by morning as all those good bacteria and yeast go to work, so make sure you have enough room in the bowl.
In the morning, just before making your waffles, mix the baking soda, salt, oil and flax eggs into the overnight sponge.
Use a 1/2 cup measure to pour the batter on a preheated waffle maker. Bake according to manufacturer's instructions.
Serve hot with some fruit and maple syrup.