Aloo Paratha Recipe
An easy Aloo Paratha, a flaky north Indian flatbread with a delicious stuffing of potatoes and spices like ginger, turmeric, and cayenne. A soy-free, nut-free and vegan recipe.
For the whole-wheat paratha casing:
- 2 ¼ cups whole wheat flour (can sub half the whole wheat with all purpose flour for a crispier, flakier paratha)
- 1/2 tsp ajwain (carom seeds)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Water for kneading
For the potato stuffing:
- 2 pounds potatoes (Any kind is fine, but I prefer yellow or red potatoes. Boil, peel and mash or grate until there are no lumps. If you're using organic, it's fine to leave the skin in there for an added nutrition bump)
- ½ tsp cayenne
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garlic (crushed into a paste. Or use 1/2 tsp garlic powder)
- 1 tsp ginger (crushed into a paste. Or use 1/2 tsp ginger powder)
- 1 tsp chaat masala (or amchur)
- ½ tsp garam masala (optional)
- 2 tbsp cilantro (finely chopped)
- Salt to taste
Make the dough:
Place all the ingredients except water in a bowl or in a stand mixer. Trickle in the water slowly, kneading as you go, until you have a stiff but pliable dough. Set aside for at least 30 minutes for the dough to relax.
Make the parathas:
Divide the dough into 16 equal-sized portions and shape into balls.
Dust the surface and roll out one of the balls of dough into a disc, about four inches in diameter. Keep the center thicker and make the edges thin.
Place the stuffing in the center and pull the edges over the top of the stuffing. Pinch to make a tight seal and squeeze off any excess dough.
Flatten into a disc, flour both sides, and roll into a circle about six to seven inches in diameter.
Heat a griddle and spray with oil. Place the flatbread on the griddle and let it cook until golden-brown spots appear. Flip over and cook the other side. Flip over a couple more times if needed until the surface is evenly cooked and covered with golden-brown spots.
Serve hot with chutney or a cucumber raita or Indian pickles.
Serving: 1parathaCalories: 103kcalCarbohydrates: 22gProtein: 3gFat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gPotassium: 61mgFiber: 2gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 27IUVitamin C: 11mgCalcium: 13mgIron: 1mg
Let us know! Or post a photo on Instagram and tag @HolyCowVegan