Tender and delicious banana cupcakes made without eggs or dairy, and on top goes a smooth and delicious peanut butter frosting
I had a couple of overripe bananas hanging out in the kitchen and I put them to good use with these delicious Banana Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting.
This is a very easy cupcake to make and you likely already have all the ingredients you will need sitting around. The two bananas in the recipe give it just the right hint of banana flavor, although if you want a more intense experience try adding three bananas and reducing the liquid in the recipe.
The peanut butter frosting is mindblowingly good, and it pairs rather naturally and beautifully with the bananas. I added some coconut oil to both the cupcakes and the frosting which made these cupcakes even more amazing, if that was possible, and kept the frosting really smooth.
More vegan cake recipes
- Vegan Banana Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting
- Vegan Carrot Cupcakes with Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
- Vegan Banana Bread
Vegan Banana Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting
For the banana cupcakes:
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup bananas (about 2 large bananas, very ripe. If you want an intense banana flavor, use 1 ½ cups of banana puree-- about 3 large bananas-- and reduce the amount of nondairy milk to ½ cup)
- 1 cup almond milk (can use any nondairy milk)
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Make the Banana Cupcakes:
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- Mix the wet ingredients -- the mashed bananas, the nondairy milk, coconut oil, sugar and vanilla -- in another bowl.
- Pour the well-mixed ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until you have a smooth batter. Do not overmix.
- Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners. Divide the batter equally between the cups. Smooth down the tops and bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 25-27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes to a rack, let them cool in the tin for about 10 minutes, then unmold and let them cool completely on the rack. These cupcakes are gorgeously golden.
- Make the Peanut Butter Frosting:
- Cream together the peanut butter, vegan butter, and coconut oil until they are smooth and fluffy, about two minutes.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar, ½ cup at a time, and mix well after each addition. If the frosting is too stiff, you can add a little more coconut oil.
- Frost the cupcakes once they have cooled completely.