A four-ingredient garlicky Broccoli Stir Fry that takes under 20 minutes and makes a delicious side for any entree. Vegan, soy-free, nut-free and gluten-free recipe.
Here's my go-to stir-fry to go with just about any meal, and it's both delicious and nutritious: my easy and garlicky Broccoli Stir Fry.
This is my favorite way to eat broccoli, not to mention my favorite way to make it (scratch to done in under 20 minutes? It's a no-brainer). And the best thing about this recipe is, it's a true crowd pleaser. Even Jay loves it -- it's the only way he'll eat broccoli without complaining.
Four ingredients for the easy broccoli stir fry:
- Broccoli florets and stems
- Red pepper flakes
- Extra virgin olive oil
What to serve with this stir fry?
It practically goes with any dish you can think of. I pair this stir fry with a dal, like this Spicy Urad Dal, and Jeera Rice for a quick, nutritious weeknight meal. I have also served it alongside tofu steaks, pasta, casseroles, and just about any entree you can imagine, and it always complements whatever it's accompanying beautifully.
Tips for making a delicious stir fry with broccoli:
- Use both the broccoli florets and stems. The stems of broccoli have tons of flavor, and are, in fact, my favorite part of this healthy cruciferous veggie. You do have to peel the stems because the outer layer is quite fibrous.
- Cut your broccoli in uniform pieces or florets, as far as possible. This is because the broccoli has to cook fairly fast, and you don't want one large floret to remain half-cooked and tough inside while the others turn to mush.
- Because this dish comes together quite fast, you shouldn't be leaving it on the stove and running around the house doing other chores. Stay with the broccoli and stir it frequently -- it's a stir-fry, right? That way you'll ensure the broccoli cooks evenly and gets some nice golden-brown spots that taste so great.
Looking for more vegan vegetable sides?
- Curry Roasted Cauliflower and Potatoes
- Curried Carrot Salad
- Vegan Garlic Butter Mushrooms
- Lemony Greek Potatoes
- Brussels Sprouts Stir Fry
Easy Broccoli Stir Fry Recipe
Broccoli Stir Fry Recipe
- Wok or large skillet
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 cloves garlic (crushed and minced)
- 1.5 pounds broccoli (about two medium heads. Peel stems and chop florets and stems into smaller pieces)
- ½ to 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (use more or less based on your preference)
- Salt to taste
- Heat the oil. Add the garlic and stir-fry for a few seconds, then add the red pepper flakes and the broccoli.
- Add salt and stir-fry, stirring frequently, for about 10-15 minutes or until the broccoli florets develop brown spots and are quite tender. You can cook the broccoli more or less based on your own preference, but it tastes best when it is tender but has a bit of a bite.
- Serve hot or warm.