This Vegan Chorizo Breakfast Quiche is the perfect way to spice up breakfast or brunch. Meatless chorizo and tofu add flavor and protein, and asparagus, a spring favorite, adds texture and freshness. Vegan and gluten-free.
Getting a protein-powered and delicious start is one way I try to stay on top of everything that simply needs to get done on the weekend because who has time to do anything during the week? Anything other than work, that is.
But easy and delicious is not always an easy combination to master. Unless you've got the recipe for this meatless and vegan Chorizo Breakfast Quiche.
And that's what I have for you today.
I usually have vegan chorizo on hand -- usually the Field Roast or Trader Joe's brand -- because it's easy to toss into meals and get lots of flavor without too many additional ingredients. This quiche is almost entirely flavored by the chorizo, and it does a great job of it. The only other ingredients you need are tofu, cashews, onions and garlic. And some leafy sage for more smoky goodness.
Or, if you want a pop of cooling flavor to complement the spicy chorizo, use mint. You can't go wrong.
This meal takes minutes to put together-- really. The quiche does need 40 minutes in the oven, but that's hands-off time, so who's counting it?
More Vegan Quiches:
At the end of those 40 minutes you'll be vowed both by the appetizing look and aroma of this quiche. Serve it with some mashed potatoes and gravy -- vegan, of course -- like I do. The creamy potatoes complement the spicy quiche beautifully.
Or serve it with a leafy side salad and make it a lunch.
You'll love it every which way.
Vegan Chorizo Breakfast Quiche
- 12 oz vegan chorizo (removed from the casings and crumbled)
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sage (finely chopped)
- 12 spears asparagus (trimmed and chopped into ½-inch bits. Leeks will work very well here too.)
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 14 oz extra firm tofu
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a cast-iron or other skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the garlic and onions and season with salt and pepper. Saute until the onions turn soft.
- Add the asparagus and sage or mint, saute for 2-3 minutes, then add the chorizo and continue to cook, stirring frequently, for another five minutes. Turn off heat.
- Place the cashews, tofu, garlic powder, salt and ground black pepper to taste in a blender along with ½ cup water. Blend until very smooth.
- Pour the tofu into the chorizo mixture and mix well. You can simply bake the quiche in the cast iron skillet (or any oven-safe skillet) at this point, or pour it into a pie or tart plate.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Let it stand 10 minutes, then serve.