This pretty vegan Zucchini Cake with Orange Marmalade Glaze captures all the freshness of the season. The cake is moist and delicious with the delicate flavors of zucchini and orange juice, and walnuts add welcome crunch and texture. The easy marmalade glaze is to die for. You can make this cake whole-wheat to keep it healthy. A vegan, soy-free recipe.
Spring is a great time to bake, because it’s not yet so hot that you don’t even want to think about turning the oven on, and there are all these great veggies around to bake with, like rhubarb and zucchini. And because zucchini is just so darn versatile, making a great addition to dishes savory and sweet, I always make sure I have it around as the weather warms up.
This golden, sumptuous vegan Zucchini Cake with Orange Marmalade Glaze is one of my favorite recipes so far this year.
If you love zucchini bread — and who doesn’t? — you will truly adore this cake. This is not your grandma’s zucchini cake, as delicious as it may be; it’s the elegant, modern version of it: still delicious, but utterly good looking as well.
I baked this cake in a bundt pan for the pretty look. You could use a regular cake pan or a tube pan. The batter is not enough to rise to the size of a full bundt cake, but I love the fluted ring shape. It just looks more special.
You can also bake this into cupcakes or mini bundt cakes. In that case, reduce baking time to around 25 minutes and check for doneness with a toothpick.
This makes the perfect dessert or a healthy snack for my little one when he gets home from school. Or for the adults among us looking for a decadent dessert that has a small halo of goodness to it.
MORE VEGAN CAKES:
Vegan Zucchini Cake with Orange Marmalade Glaze
- 2 cups zucchini, grated (About 2 medium zucchini)
- 1 cup pulpy orange juice (I toss some oranges into the blender and blitz them)
- 2 tbsp applesauce
- 2 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup walnuts (finely chopped)
- 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour (can use whole wheat pastry flour or a mix for a wholegrain version)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the glaze:
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 2 tbsp water (if feeling adventurous, use Grand Marnier or another orange liqueur instead)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix orange juice, ginger, applesauce, vanilla and olive oil.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until everything is moistened. If the batter looks dry at this point, don't worry-- the zucchini will express tons of moisture.
- Fold in the zucchini and the walnuts.
- Grease and flour a fluted bundt pan, tube pan or 9-inch cake pan. Scrape the batter into the pan and make sure it's evenly spread.
- Bake 45 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean. Remove to a rack, and unmold the cake after letting it stand 10 minutes.
- While the cake is cooling, prepare the glaze by mixing the marmalade with 2 tbsp of water in a small saucepan. Heat until bubbly, then brush onto the warm cake. Let the cake cool thoroughly before slicing and serving.
- For a nut-free version, leave out the walnuts.
- If baking into cupcakes or mini-bundts, set the oven to bake for 25 minutes and check for doneness with a toothpick. Bake longer if you get moist batter on the toothpick.