These vegan Double Chocolate Pancakes are intensely chocolatey, with a gooey, chocolate sauce drizzled over. They are also whole wheat.
I enjoy decadence occasionally, and what's not to love when that decadence comes in the addictive avatar of chocolate?
I dreamed up these vegan Double Chocolate Pancakes for my little boy who, I think, can never have enough chocolate. And if there are sprinkles on top of it, even better.
But that doesn't mean the adult kids in your home won't love them. In fact, they might end up gobbling them even faster.
We got back last night from our road trip to Niagara Falls, and given that the work week is about to begin, I wanted to soothe us all with a breakfast that we could drown those end-of-vacation blues in.
In fact, we smothered them in so much chocolate, we are ready now to take on the work and school week and all it brings with it.
These vegan Double Chocolate Pancakes are fluffy and delicious and studded with nuts (you can leave out the nuts if you wish). But they are also whole wheat, so you don't have to feel too bad about eating them. What's better, the chocolate replaces the maple syrup, so you aren't really ingesting that many more calories, if at all.
I also find these are far more satisfying than regular pancakes, so I tend to eat fewer. Automatic portion control.
So go on, try them. Or file them away for a special day, like a birthday or Valentine's Day. Or how about making this as a breakfast for Mother's Day, especially if you have -- like my son -- a mom who adores chocolate. 🙂
- Vegan Crepes with Orange Cream Cheese and Apricot Walnut Syrup
- Gluten Free Vegan Mango Waffles
- The Best Vegan Pancakes
- Vegan Orange Rolls
Vegan Double Chocolate Pancakes
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour (can sub with half all purpose and half whole wheat)
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup coarsely ground walnuts (optional)
- 1 ¾ cups non-dairy milk
- 2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon flax meal (whisked with 6 tablespoon lukewarm water to make 2 flax "eggs")
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup applesauce
- Whisk the whole wheat pastry flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder, salt, and walnuts in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, mix the non-dairy milk with the apple cider vinegar and let stand a couple of minutes. Add the flax eggs, vanilla extract and applesauce and whisk to mix.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry, and mix until it just comes together with no visible dry lumps. Don't overmix or try to make the batter very smooth.
- Heat a griddle and pour ⅓ cup of the batter in the center. Wait until the edges look dry and a few bubbles appear on top. Flip with a spatula and cook the other side for a minute or until done.
Make the chocolate sauce
- Heat the milk until it is scalding hot but not boiling.
- Place the chocolate chips, vanilla and maple syrup in a bowl. Pour the hot milk on top and use a whisk to stir until all the chocolate is melted.
- Let the chocolate sauce stand while you make the pancakes which allows it to thicken a little.
- Pour over the pancakes and enjoy!