A quick, easy, five-ingredient dish that’s perfect for weeknight dinners: Garlicky Pasta with Broccoli Rabe. The dish comes together in 30 minutes and is vegan, soy-free, and nut-free. It can be made with gluten-free pasta.
The reason I love broccoli rabe is that slight bitterness. It’s so addictive, and it makes this terrific leafy, to my mind, more suited to pasta than most other leafy greens.
That unique flavor of broccoli rabe, almost by itself, turns this humble pasta dish into something special that makes me cook it over and over again.
There are many reasons I love making this Garlicky Pasta with Broccoli Rabe. It’s easy, it needs just five ingredients, and it comes together in minutes. Plus my family loves it, and even Jay eats it up fast. Especially when I sprinkle on some capers. But the capers are entirely optional.
I sometimes open up a can of white beans to add them to this recipe when I want an extra hit of protein. Be sure to adjust the seasoning if you do this.
Happy Monday, all!
Vegan Garlicky Pasta with Broccoli Rabe
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add the broccoli rabe and cook for two minutes. Remove the broccoli rabe to a chopping board, chop, and set aside. Cook the pasta in the same water according to package directions until al dente.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the garlic and saute until it starts to turn light gold.
- Add the red pepper flakes, the broccoli rabe, and salt and black pepper to taste. Stir-fry for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the pasta with a cup of the pasta cooking water. Add the parsley, stir well to mix, check seasoning, and turn off the heat.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Squeeze on a dash of lemon juice for more flavor.
- Stir in a handful of capers. This works really well for my nine-year-old and gets him to eat the pasta double quick. 😉
More weeknight vegan pasta dishes to try: