This creamy One Pot Curried Spaghetti with Kale recipe comes together in under 30 minutes, with a handful of ingredients, making it the perfect weeknight dinner. Kale adds crunchy, healthful texture, spices add flavor, and coconut milk gives a wonderfully silky mouth-feel. A vegan, soy-free, nut-free recipe.
This is my new favorite weeknight recipe and I think I am going to be craving and eating it every day. My Creamy One Pot Curried Spaghetti with Kale.
I have really been enjoying the one pot thing -- anything to get me out of doing too many dishes. And if you've tried my One Pot Chickpea Curry, you know that paring down on the number of pots and pans you use does not equate to paring down on flavor. In fact, there's something to be said for how well flavors mix and meld together when ingredients cook at the same time.
I said this recipe takes under 30 minutes, but that's probably overstating it-- it takes more like 20, especially if you prep as you go.
It is also very versatile. You can add to it some canned white beans for a protein punch, or use another vegetable if you'd prefer, instead of kale. Any green leafy would be great here, including spinach and chard, and you can definitely use a summer squash. In fact, here's a great idea: dice up some zucchini and add at the very end for even more flavor and texture.
I had a rather sucky weekend, and I am still carrying over a bit of a headache, so I am going to run now and leave you with this recipe for One Pot Curried Spaghetti with Kale. But do come back for seconds!
More one pot weeknight recipes:
- One Pot Chickpea Curry with Cauliflower and Potatoes
- One Pot Garlicky Spinach Dal
- One Pot Farfalle with Dandelion Greens
More pasta recipes to try:
One Pot Curried Spaghetti with Kale recipe:
One Pot Curried Spaghetti with Kale (30-minute recipe)
- 12 oz dry spaghetti, broken into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tsp olive oil or coconut oil
- 3 large cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 heaping tbsp garam masala (curry powder will do at a pinch)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 18-20 leaves kale, tough stems trimmed, then finely shredded. I used lacinato, but curly kale or purple kale would be fine too. So would baby kale.
- ½ cup canned coconut milk (stir the can after opening with a spoon so you don't just get the thick or thin part)
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and let the garlic cook until it starts to turn blonde.
- Add the garam masala and turmeric. Stir well, then add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, until the paste starts to slightly darken, about 2-3 minutes. Add the kale and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Add the pasta and stir well to mix. Add 5 cups of water and salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- Bring the pasta to a boil over medium heat, then cover with a lid and let the pasta cook 8 minutes. After 8 minutes, take the lid off, give the pasta a good stir, and let it continue to cook another 2-4 minutes until the pasta is cooked al dente. The mix will still look a little soupy, but it will thicken upon standing.
- Stir in the coconut milk. Check seasoning. Serve hot. This pasta is best eaten just after cooking because that's when it will be creamiest, but if you need to reheat later, pop it into the microwave until warm, and then stir with a fork.