Crescent Rolls

I dream of soft, fluffy rolls fresh from the oven that I can tear open with my fingers, watch as the smoke dissipates right before my eyes, slather with a dab of vegan butter and raspberry jelly, and then take a huge bite of…now doesn’t that sound like heaven?

And after making these crescent rolls I definitely was in heaven. Because not only are they are easy to make and impossibly elegant to look at, they are, of course, 100 percent vegan.

As flaky as these rolls are, don’t mistake them for their richer French cousins, the incredibly delicious croissants, which contain far more fat and are more puff-pastry-like in the way they’re made. These are regular rolls that shaped like crescents and they are not just great for breakfast but great at just about any time of day.
Go ahead and try them next time you have some time on your hands. And if you make them the previous day, just pop them into an oven for a few minutes to freshen them up. This recipe makes 16 and since it’s usually just Desi and I who get to eat them all, I keep them in the refrigerator for days in an airtight plastic bag.

Here’s the recipe. Enjoy, all!

Crescent Rolls

2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast (1 package)

1/4 cup warm water (not hot. You don’t want to kill the yeast)

Mix the yeast and water together in a bowl and let stand for at least five minutes until the yeast is all frothy and bubbly.

Add to this:

1 1/4 cup soymilk

5 tbsp canola or other flavorless vegetable oil

2 tbsp sugar

1 tsp salt

Mix by hand or on low speed in the stand mixer for no more than a minutes. Now gradually add :

3 to 4 cups of all-purpose flour, until you have a dough that’s moist but not sticky.

Knead for 10 minutes by hand or on medium-low speed on the stand mixer until you have a dough that’s smooth and elastic.

Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl, turn over once to coat the top with oil, cover with plastic wrap, and place in a warm spot until the dough has doubled, around 1 1/2 hours.

Now punch the dough down and divide into two equal parts. Shape each into a smooth ball and then roll each out to a diameter of about 10-12 inches. If the dough is too resistant, let it relax for a couple of minutes, then try again.

With a pizza cutter, cut eight wedges, as you would a pizza.

Take one wedge, brush the top with a little oil, and then, using your fingers, roll from the broader edge toward the tip, forming a crescent shape. Once you’ve formed the roll, tuck the ends downward to form the crescent.shape.

Shape all 16 wedges into crescents, placing them at least an inch or two apart on a lightly greased baking sheet.

Brush the tops of the rolls with some oil or with a mixture of soymilk and oil, and allow them to stand, covered loosely with a napkin, until they’ve doubled in size, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Bake the rolls in a preheated 425-degree oven about 15-20 minutes or until the rolls are golden-brown.

Serve fresh or preheat in the oven if serving leftover rolls.

Enjoy!

Comments

1. says

Vaishali, these rolls do look heavenly, especially as you said with some butter and jelly. Can I substitute regular milk instead of soy for this one?
    Also, wish you and Desi and all your lovely pets a very happy and prosperous New Year. :)

2. says

Hi Vaishali, lovely rolls..fresh, fluffy and golden brown..love them any time with butter and home made mango jam:D

Wishing you and your family a happy and prosperous New Year..

3. says

Jaya, A very happy new year to you. And yes, you could certainly use milk (although you’d make me so much happier if you used soymilk!) :)

Mints, Thanks– hope you like them!

Ms. Chitchat, thanks!

Shreya, a very happy new year to you, my dear. And I’d love some mango jam now!

Voracious– you’re really kind! Thanks!

Bangalorebaker, Laavanya, Thanks!

Maya, yes, you can substitute half the all-purpose with whole-wheat pastry flour or a third with regular whole wheat. More whole-wheat flour would make the rolls too dense and pastry flour is low on gluten so the dough would be difficult to work with if you used too much of it. Does that help?

Preeti, Parita, Thanks!

4. Anonymous says

Dear Vaishali

Thank you so much for this simple and wonderful recipe. Will try it soon.
    Wish you all a Very Happy New Year.

5. says

Anon., a very happy new year to you!

Priya, glad to hear that! :)

Pavani, Priya, Cham, Indhu, Mihl, Evolvingtastes: Thanks, dears, and a very happy new year to you all!

6. says

Wow, your crescent rolls look so good, much better than the store-brought ones :) healthy too! Wish You a Very Happy New Year dear!!!

7. says

Happy New Year to you and your family Vaishali! These rolls look yummy. Will have to give a try some day. Your blog is the first I check if I am in need of a recipe. Recently I baked cinnamon rolls and used your recipe. I am not very good with baking yet it turned out good. Though not a healthy snack it tasted less unhealthy than the mall ones :). Thanks!

Indhu

8. says

Hey Vaishali , its been great knowing you , your family of pets and your candid thoughts on so many subjects this last year..Hope you continue to do so in the new year . All my best wishes to you and yours.

9. says

Gita, a very happy new year to you!

In, Welcome and thanks for your kind words. So glad you liked the cinnamon rolls– I love those too! :) A very happy new year to you.

TBC, A very happy new year!

Dips, it’s been great knowing you too over this past year– happy new year!

Kahliyalogue, Shri: Thanks, and a very happy new year to you!

10. Anonymous says

Hi, I tried these rolls and they were good…except they didn’t brown like your picture…my rolls were dark on the bottom and a pale brown on the top…They did taste great…Can you suggest what went wrong ?? Do I have to turn them half-way during baking ??

11. says

Anonymous, here’s my first thought: did you brush them with oil or with the oil-soymilk mixture? That makes all the difference.
    Also, sometimes the baking sheet you use can make a huge difference in the color of your finished product and the time it takes to bake. A darker cookie sheet, for instance, would result in a darker roll.
    If you find you still don’t get the desired color, try also brushing the rolls with oil once halfway through baking.

12. Anonymous says

Hi Vaishali,

I tried baking them day before yesterday, and after many failures at baking this was my first success, and I was thrilled, excited and could not stop looking at the rolls. I realized that the problem is not my old traditional oven, but the yeast quality. As you rightly said that there is nothing great than having a bite of freshly home baked rolls. Million thanks to you.

Nisha.