A vegan Breakfast Instant Pot Pie that comes together in minutes and can be made the day before so you can serve it to your family or friends the next morning with a minimum amount of work.
I love recipes that come together easily and effortlessly, but give you so much flavor and deliciousness that they look like they took forever to make. This Breakfast Instant Pot Pie with Sausages and Beans is exactly what I am talking about.
The filling is made of a delicious and healthy mix of veggies and beans and vegan sausage. And on top goes a golden, crispy, crackly puff pastry crust.
Better still, you can make most of the recipe the day before -- or even days before so long as you refrigerate it.
Recipes like that work great for the holidays, when you want your day to have a healthy start in preparation for all that indulgence that comes later. But this Instant Pot Pie is not without a touch of indulgence itself. The golden, crackly, crispy puff pastry gives you more texture and flavor in each bite -- it'll make you feel a little naughty when you're actually being nice. 😉
If you have kids at home or visiting, you're in luck. Pot pies tend to be kid friendly, especially with that puff pastry crust. My 10-year-old Jay will not easily eat mushrooms, but my vegan mushroom pot pie is one of his favorite dishes. This one was a hit as well.
How to make a delicious and vegan Breakfast Instant Pot Pie:
- Start with an Instant Pot, of course. Or you can do this on a stovetop, although that will take longer. But you'll end up with delicious results either way.
- Use lots of veggies. I used celery, shallots, carrots and potatoes. Winter squashes and sweet potatoes will work too, although they'll add a touch of sweetness.
- Use any vegan sausage you like, although a flavored sausage, like a vegan Italian sausage, works best for most flavor. You can also use something like TJ's meatless beef, which is unflavored.
- If you don't want to use a vegan sausage at all, use a mix of fresh and dry mushooms to add great flavor and texture. Be sure to reconstitute your dry mushrooms and chop them before use.
- Use a good vegetable stock, it makes all the difference to the flavor of your filling.
- If you want this recipe to be nut-free, you can whisk a teaspoon of cornstarch in half a cup of nondairy milk and add instead of the cashew cream.
- The filling is delicious by itself. Thin it out a little with more veggie stock and you can serve it as a stew with a crusty bread.
Here are the ingredients you need to make your vegan Breakfast Instant Pot Pie:
- Navy beans. Or use cannellini beans.
- Vegan Italian sausage, again use whichever brand you like.
- Shallots or leeks or onions
- Vegetable stock
- Salt and ground black pepper
Although it's great for breakfast, you could really eat this Instant Pot Pie any time of day. It'll make a great, comforting dinner for those cold nights. Can't you just imagine yourself, snug in a blanket on your great, big couch, with Netflix for company and a bowl of this piping pot pie?
Breakfast Instant Pot Pie with Sausage and BeansPrint Recipe Pin Recipe Review Recipe
- 1 tsp avocado oil (or any vegetable oil)
- 2 shallots or 1 leek, both green and white parts (thinly sliced)
- 2 stalks celery (cut in a small dice)
- 1 medium carrot (cut in a small dice)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 4 yellow or red potatoes (cut in a small dice)
- 2 tsp dry rosemary
- 1 cup dry navy beans
- 12-14 oz vegan Italian sausage (or use a meatless "beef" but I prefer a flavored sausage for this)
- 3 ½ cups vegetable stock
- ¼ cup cashews
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- Set the Instant Pot to the saute function, add the oil and when it heats up, add the shallots or leeks, celery, carrots and garlic with some salt and ground black pepper. Saute, stirring frequently, a couple of minutes until the onions begin to soften.
- Add the rosemary and potatoes with the vegan sausage, making sure you crumble the sausage into little bits or run it once through the food processor before adding. Mix well, and add the beans and 3 cups of vegetable stock.
- Cover the Instant Pot and set it to the "chili" function, which is 30 minutes of pressure cooking time. At the end of cooking, you can either wait for the pressure to release, or release it manually after 10 minutes.
- Place the cashews in a blender with the remaining ½ cup of vegetable stock. Blitz into a smooth cream.
- Put the IP back at the saute function, add the cashew cream, and let it warm through. Check at this time if you need more ground black pepper.
- The filling should be pretty thick, but if you want to thin it out, add more stock.
- Make the puff pastry topping by first preheating your oven to 375 degrees. Unroll the puff pastry sheet and cut it into pretty shapes using a cookie cutter. You can make one large disc that will sit on top of your ramekin, or smaller shapes, like the hearts I made.
- Place the puff pastry shapes on a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven 15 minutes or until golden and puffy.
- Ladle the pot pie filling into ramekins, top with the puff pastry, and serve piping hot.
Make these savory vegan breakfast recipes next:
- Vegan Potato Sauerkraut Pancakes
- Spiced Potatoes and Eggs, an Indian Style Frittata
- Vegan Sausage Breakfast Lasagna
- Vegan Sausage and Grits Quiche
- Vegan Cheesy Croissant Casserole
- One Pot Vegan Tater Tot Casserole