A colorful, healthful bowl of Curried Cranberry Carrot Soup with the goodness of ginger and beans. Vegan, gluten-free, fat-free.
I have been nursing a cold -- it's been more like a series of colds, really -- and when I have one of these, all I can think of is a hot, steaming bowl of soup. Sometimes, I actually manage to get myself into the kitchen to stir one up, like this divine and very seasonal Curried Cranberry Soup that's fragrant with soothing ginger and hearty with beans.
I had some cranberries sitting in the refrigerator after Thanksgiving, and this was the perfect way to use them up-- a little unconventional, but delicious nonetheless, and the Vitamin C in the cranberries seemed a welcome combatant to fight the cold. Not to mention the ginger, which provides tons of relief to an itchy throat.
There's something wonderful about a soup with so many flavors all blended together in it: there's the tartness of the cranberries, the sweetness of the carrots and some sugar, the slight, spicy bite of the curry powder and ginger. Then there's the creaminess of the beans, which provide a welcome boost of protein, making this quite a complete meal in its own right. Together, the flavors and textures dance on your tongue and settle contentedly in your belly.
Then there's also the fat-free thing. Yep, as in this soup is fat-free. There is no added fat here, and there is all the goodness, including vitamins and fiber, from the veggies like carrots and cranberries and from the beans, of course, so you can slurp away without any guilt.
I am off to ladle out another bowl of the Curried Cranberry Soup for myself. Stop by for some, or make it yourself. You'll be so happy you did.
Vegan Curried Cranberry Soup
- 1 cup white beans like navy beans or cannellini or great northern beans. soaked for a few hours, then covered with water and cooked about 30-45 minutes until tender.
- 1 ½ cups cranberries
- 2 medium carrots sliced
- 2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ cup sugar
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Cilantro or spring onions for garnish
- In a saucepan, place the carrots and cranberries. Add 3 cups of water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook on medium-low heat for 15-20 minutes or until the carrots are tender.
- Remove the carrots and cranberries to a blender and blend until smooth. Be very careful when blending hot liquids and follow your blender manufacturer's directions.
- Return the carrot-cranberry mixture to the saucepan. Add the ginger powder, curry powder, black pepper, sugar and salt.
- Return to a boil, and then add the drained beans. Reserve the bean cooking stock to thin out the soup, if required.
- Once the soup boils, lower the heat to a simmer and let it cook 10 minutes. If the mixture is too dry, add the bean stock or water to thin it out as much as you desire.
- Garnish the soup with coriander leaves or spring onions, or both.
- Serve hot.