A vegan Cranberry Breakfast Bread is the perfect way to start a holiday with family and friends. The tender crumb has tiny bursts of tart, juicy cranberries and nutty walnuts. You can also bake this into muffins. A vegan, soy-free recipe, can be nut-free.
With the holidays approaching, you're surely wondering what to feed those hordes of hungry people who are certain to descend on your little universe. So here's a recipe you should file away to give them -- and yourself -- a bright start to those fun but stress-filled days. Or, better still, try it this weekend. My Vegan Cranberry Breakfast Bread.
This is a seriously delicious loaf, with a sweet, tender crumb and tart, juicy cranberries that pop in your mouth. The streusel topping makes an already awesome treat even more special -- and beautiful.
November is the time to bake with cranberries. Thanksgiving's almost here, so the markets are carrying them once again. Cranberry sauce is all well and good, but so far as I am concerned, there can't be enough ways to cook this pretty berry. I add it to this vegan cranberry tart and this vegan cranberry carrot soup, and this breakfast bread is my new favorite.
This is not a cloyingly sweet loaf, which makes it perfect for breakfast. You can add more sugar to the recipe if you're looking for a sweeter bread, but I love the gentle sweetness contrasted with the sour tang of the berries and the nuttiness of the pecans. If you must, eat it with some jelly. Or a pat of vegan butter works too.
You can also bake this up into muffins, if you'd rather have individual treats instead of a loaf.
After making this loaf, I fell in love with it because it's just so good-looking. Honestly, how can anyone resist that golden streusel and those little, brilliant-red cranberry dots? I'm not even going to try.
If you make this vegan Cranberry Breakfast Bread, be sure to leave a comment below, or take a picture and post it on Instagram with the tag #holycowvegan.
- Vegan Rhubarb Bread
- Orange Almond Breakfast Loaf
- Applesauce Sandwich Bread
- Vegan Zucchini Cake with Orange Marmalade Glaze
- Wholegrain Banana Chia Cake with Crumb Topping
- Pumpkin Biryani Topped With Candied Cranberries
Vegan Cranberry Breakfast Bread Recipe
Vegan Cranberry Breakfast Bread
- 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour (or use a mix of half whole wheat and half all purpose flour)
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon flaxmeal
- 1 cup turbinado sugar
- 12 oz fresh cranberries
- ½ cup walnuts (lightly toasted and chopped. These are optional, if you want to make the loaf nut-free)
- 4 tablespoon vegan butter (or vegetable oil)
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ¾ cup nondairy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the streusel:
- ¼ cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon vegan butter (at room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Oil and flour a a 9 X 5 loaf pan.
- Mix the streusel ingredients until the mixture resembles large breadcrumbs. Set aside.
- Mix the apple cider vinegar and almond milk and set aside for a couple of minutes to curdle.
- In a bowl, mix the flour with the baking powder, baking soda, flaxmeal, salt and sugar.
- In a larger bowl, whisk together the applesauce, nondairy milk, butter and vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet in two batches, mixing thoroughly with a spatula after each addition.
- Fold in the cranberries and walnuts, if using.
- Scrape the batter into the loaf pan and smooth the top with the spatula. Sprinkle the streusel on evenly.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake 1 hour and 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool thoroughly on a rack before unmolding. Slice and serve.
- To bake into muffins, bake in a 12-cup muffin pan for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.