This healthy, melt-in-the-mouth, whole-wheat vegan Banana Chia Cake with Crumb topping is low-fat and guilt-free. Vegan, soy-free, nut-free recipe.
That name’s a mouthful, I know, but wait until you can stuff some of this incredible treat into your mouth. You will be trilling out that name out over and over again, effortlessly. Honest.
My Whole Wheat Vegan Banana Chia Cake with Crumble Topping is really quite divine and a revelation. It’s healthy with the wholesome goodness of wholegrain, bananas, applesauce and chia seeds, those tiny little black specks that pack an antioxidant wallop. It’s also low-fat. But what really makes it a winner is how delicious it is. It is tender, soft, and it will melt in your mouth like a snowflake. How much more can you ask of a cake?
If you don’t have access to chia seeds, or don’t want to use them, you can add poppy seeds into this recipe. They would be perfect too and they will add that slight crunch the chia seeds give this cake. I love chia seeds because of how good they are for you. You can throw them into you oatmeal, grind them up for for a French Toast, and when you have absolutely nothing else left to do with them…well, you can bake them into this cake.
The weekend’s knocking at the door and who am I to ignore it? Desi and I are seeing some old friends after a long time this weekend. Perhaps I also will have some time to tend to my garden. The lilies are out right now and they are so gorgeous, they break my heart. Maybe the deer will come by and eat them tonight…okay, that sounds perverse, I know, but what else are lilies for? Besides, I know the deer will enjoy them even more than I do.
Have a great weekend, all!
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour, use regular whole wheat or durum atta flour if you prefer
- 1/4 cup chia seeds, can substitute with black or white poppy seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg, optional
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 very ripe bananas, well-mashed
- 2 tbsp coconut or any other vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- For the crumb topping:
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp coconut or other vegetable oil
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and chia seeds.
- In a larger bowl, whisk together the sugar, oil and applesauce.
- Add the bananas and vanilla and mix well.
- Add the flour mixture and mix until everything's moistened and well-mixed.
- Oil and flour a cake pan. I used a square pan that's 9 X 9 inches but an 8 X 8 inch pan would be perfect too. Or use an 8- or 9-inch round cake pan.
- Pour the batter into the pan.
- Prepare the crumb topping by mixing all the ingredients-- the flour, sugar and oil-- together until everything's moistened.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping evenly over the top of the cake batter.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the pan on the center rack and bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack, then cut into squares and eat.