Salty, spicy, crunchy oven-roasted potatoes with the tang of lemon.
I love potatoes, but then, who doesn't?Even those folks who claim to "hate" veggies -- believe it or not, they exist-- usually make an exception for the simply spectacular spud. Fried, boiled, roasted or mashed, potatoes are always delicious.
The bad rap potatoes have earned over the years as being fattening and unhealthy is quite undeserved. Sure, a large serving of french fries is loaded with calories, but then no food would be healthy deep-fried- not even spinach. Besides, moderation is always the keyword. Eaten in satisfying but sensible portions, potatoes can be health stars-- they contain good carbs, a ton of minerals, including potassium and manganese, that are located just under the skin (so don't peel the spuds for maximum benefit) and other goodies like fiber and even protein.
I like my potatoes crunchy, but I also like them without too much fat. So I roast them with a little bit of olive oil, along with some simple spices like garlic powder, turmeric and chili powder, which gives them the crunch without adding unwanted calories. A spritz of lemon juice, a sprinkle of cilantro, and you have a wonderful side-dish that's yummier than any order of french fries.
And this one's not going to stay on your hips for a lifetime.
Easy Oven-Roasted Potatoes with Coriander and Lemon
- Baking sheet
- 4 medium potatoes (cubed into 1-inch chunks)
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Salt to taste.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp cilantro (chopped)
- Wedges of lemon or lime
- Mix all the ingredients (except lemon and cilantro) on a baking sheet, making sure the potatoes are coated evenly with the spices and oil.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake in a 350-degree oven for about 20 minutes.
- Remove the foil and continue baking for another 15 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked and golden-brown.
- Transfer to a bowl and add cilantro. Serve with wedges of lemon and spritz with lemon juice just before serving (don't add the lemon before serving as it can cause the potatoes to lose their crunch.)
Try these tasty potato recipes next:
- Smashed Potato Salad with Turmeric and Curry Leaf Dressing
- Minty Roasted Potatoes
- Golden Roasted Curry Mustard Potatoes
(C) All recipes and photographs copyright of Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes.