Potatoes, potatoes every day, and I'd be in heaven.If only. It's not every day that I can indulge in potatoes. But the luscious spud calls out my name at least a couple of times a week, and I cannot resist. Not least because it is so easy to get something really delicious from a potato in just minutes.So when I came home from my last grocery trip with a bag of gorgeous Yukon Golds, I wondered what I could do to these buttery-rich babies that would enhance their natural deliciousness. The answer was right in my garden: mint.
Mint, one of my favorite herbs that's used pretty often in the Indian kitchen, is also one that's almost too easy to grow, even for a novice gardener.
For one, it survives DC's fairly harsh winter and bounces back each year to reward me with armfuls of fragrant, almost other-worldly and deep-green goodness. Its cooling properties are also invaluable in a summer kitchen. I love its soothing flavors so much, I could use mint in almost anything.
So I decided to use it to dress up my lovely potatoes for a dish that turned out to be not only quick and easy but also quite a find. My Mint-Smothered Spuds are something I know I will be making again and again. I loved the boldness of the mint paired with the creamy crunch of the potatoes. For all of the few minutes they were around, I surely was in heaven.
Looking for more vegan potato recipes?
- Lemony Greek Potatoes
- Garlicky Roasted Asparagus and Potatoes
- Easy, Spicy Potato Curry
- Vegan Indian Style Potato Salad with Turmeric and Green Peas
- Curry Roasted Cauliflower and Potatoes
Minty Roasted Potatoes Recipe:
Minty Roasted Potatoes
- 4 medium potatoes (diced)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup mint leaves , chopped
- Put all ingredients other than the mint in a baking dish. Mix well and spread the potatoes in a single layer.
- In a preheated 375-degree oven, bake the potatoes until tender and golden on top, about 20 minutes, although the time may vary depending on your oven and the size of the potato dice.
- Remove from the oven and add the chopped mint just before serving. Toss well.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.