This easy, five-ingredient recipe for Roasted Golden Beets with rosemary and garlic goes well with almost any dish. Vegan, gluten-free and nut-free recipe.
I planted beets one year in my vegetable garden. I love these brilliant, beautiful, earthy vegetables with a passion, and had high hopes of harvesting fresh beets all summer long. The experience was not a complete disaster, but also not quite what I envisioned. While I did get armfuls of beet greens, wonderful to toss into a stir-fried side or salad or dal, the beets themselves grew no larger than marbles.
I haven't tried my hand at growing beets since, but I do buy them ever so often, especially when I can get fresh, organic beets and greens at the market. In spring, it's that much easier.
I had a bunch of beautiful golden beets on hand after my last trip to the market, and, the other night, looking for something easy but delicious to make with them, I created this recipe for Roasted Golden Beets with Rosemary and Garlic.
Beets take beautifully to herbs, and they are combine easily and naturally with garlic, which tones down as well as enhances their earthy flavor. Now that may sound oxymoronic, but if you want to see what I mean, try it. I have one favorite beet recipe, learned from my friend Margo, that I often make and that everyone in the family loves, but this one is just as good and it's rather wonderful how the roasting concentrates the sweetness of the beets. The recipe itself is very simple, requiring just four ingredients (and the salt and pepper, of course).
What are you planting in your vegetable garden this year? I just got started with mine, and with my hands as full as they are, I am sticking to the easy ones-- a few tomatoes, herbs, eggplant, zucchini, and peppers. Here's looking forward to a bountiful summer of fresh, homegrown vegetables. And if you've ever grown beets, I'd love to know your secret.
Looking for more recipes with beets?
- Vegan Beet Burger with Chipotle Cashew Hummus
- Wheat Berry Salad with Roasted Beets
- Beets Infused with Garlic and Olive Oil
Looking for more roasted veggie recipes?
- Lemony Greek Potatoes
- Turmeric Roasted Root Vegetables
- Golden Roasted Curry Mustard Potatoes
- Roasted Hasselback Delicata Squash
Roasted Golden Beets with Rosemary and Garlic Recipe
Roasted Golden Beets with Rosemary and Garlic
- 6 medium golden beets peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks (red beets are a perfectly good substitution)
- 3 cloves garlic minced or crushed
- 1 tbsp rosemary finely chopped (if using dry, use 1 tsp)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F
- Mix together the garlic, rosemary, olive oil and salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, place the beets and toss them with the herb-olive-oil mixture.
- Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet, preferably coated with aluminum foil to make cleanup easier, and roast 35-40 minutes or until the beets are fork tender and golden. Stir once or twice during roasting to make sure they cook evenly.
- Serve hot or cold.