A simple, four-ingredient recipe for beets infused with garlic and olive oil. This will turn any beet hater into a beet lover, it's so good!
Middle Eastern food never fails to amaze me with its vibrant flavors and simplicity and ease of preparation. Its popularity is obvious from the fact that foods like hummus, felafel, pita and tabbouleh have melded effortlessly into our food vocabulary today.
I am lucky because one of my oldest and best friends, Margo, is an Armenian who was born and raised in Lebanon. I often pick up great tips for wonderful Middle Eastern dishes from her, and from eating at her home.
This super-simple recipe for beets, one of my favorite veggies, is one I got from her. When I first ate these beets at her home, I was speechless when she told me just how easy to make they are, and how tiny the ingredient list is, because the flavor was so incredibly and spectacularly vivid.
I make this dish often in my kitchen now, and it takes minutes to put together. It goes beautifully as a side dish with just about anything. Try it: you won't be disappointed.
- Vegan Garlic Butter Beets
- Vegan Beet Burger with Chipotle Cashew Hummus
- Golden Beet Carrot Slaw
- Vegan Curry Sprouts Bowl with Easy Pickled Beets and Minty Brown Rice
- Wheat Berry Salad with Roasted Beets and Curry Cashew Dressing
- Roasted Golden Beets with Rosemary and Garlic
Beets infused with Garlic and Olive Oil
Beets Infused with Garlic and Olive Oil
- 4 medium beets. (red or yellow beets are both fine)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4-5 cloves garlic , crushed, preferably with a garlic press, or minced really fine.
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt to taste
- Scrub the beets clean, then cover with water and boil on a stovetop or zapped in a microwave until a fork stuck in the middle slides in effortlessly. (I don't skin my beets). Slice the beets thinly and cut each slice into quarters, then eighths.Pour the oil-garlic-lemon mixture over the beets and toss well.
- In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil, garlic, lemon and salt.
- Pour over the beets and mix. Set aside for about half an hour for the flavors to infuse. Serve at room temperature.