A Vegan Beet Burger made by layering a roasted slab of beet with greens, caramelized onions and chipotle cashew hummus on a whole-wheat bun. Simple, clean, healthy and delicious. A vegan, soy-free recipe, can be nut-free.
Say hello to a delicious Spring with my Beet Burger with Chipotle Cashew Hummus.
This burger is simplicity itself: instead of making a patty with grated beet and other ingredients, I take a thick, juicy slice of roasted beetroot, saute it with some seasonings to add more flavor, then sandwich it between layers of caramelized onions, hummus flavored with chipotle chili, and crisp, clean greens. All of this goodness goes on my whole wheat burger bun. Yum.
This beet burger is the perfect recipe for the grill: you could marinate the slices of roasted beet in the seasonings and then saute them in a grill wok, adding yet another layer of smoky flavor.
The hummus recipe, which I’ll also share with you, is a simple variation on the traditional recipe. I love adding chipotle chilies to various sauces (remember my Pasta with Chipotle Cashew Cream?) and this time, instead of tahini, I decided to use roasted cashews in the hummus. The experiment really worked– I know I’ll be making this amazing hummus again and again.
I can’t wait to share this vegan beet burger recipe with you. It involves a few steps, but none of them is hard. If you try this once, I guarantee you too will be making it again. And again. All through Spring and Summer.
A veggie beet burger made by layering a roasted slab of beet with greens, caramelized onions and chipotle cashew hummus on a whole-wheat bun. Simple, clean, healthy and delicious.
- 3 large beets (scrubbed clean)
- Oil to spray
- 2 tsp minced or crushed garlic
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Ground black pepper and salt to taste'
- 1 tsp dry sage
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Leafy greens like baby spinach, baby chard or baby kale. A mix of spring greens would be great here also.
- 8 whole wheat burger buns (If you want to make your own, see link for my whole wheat burger buns in the recipe notes)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place a large piece of aluminum foil on a baking sheet, spray with oil, place the beets inside in a single row, and fold the foil over to cover completely. Crimp the edges of the foil to seal.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and roast for 45 minutes to an hour, or until a knife inserted in the thickest part of the beet goes through cleanly and without resistance.
- Remove the baking sheet and let it cool for 15 minutes, then open the foil and let the beets cool until they can be handled.
- Peel the beets by rubbing the skins off, then slice into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Heat the olive oil in a wok or large saute pan.
- Add the garlic, sage and salt. Add the beets and salt and saute for about five minutes.
- Sprinkle on the lemon juice and set aside.
- Place the garlic pods in a small piece of aluminum foil sprayed with oil, roll up the foil into a ball, and roast with the beets for 30 minutes. Once they are cool enough to handle, discard the skins and reserve the gooey, roasted garlic.
- Place the chickpeas, cashew nuts, roasted garlic, chipotle chili and salt in a food processor. Add enough water to make a smooth paste that's thick enough to smear on a burger bun. Blend into a really smooth paste. If you are using the extra virgin olive oil, pour it in through the feed tube as the hummus is blending.
- Heat the oil, add the caramelized onions and a pinch of salt. Saute for a minute, then add the ground black pepper and sugar.
- Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the onions become golden brown and soft. Turn off heat and remove to a bowl.
- To build your burger, cut a whole wheat burger bun in half, smear some hummus on the base of the bun, layer on some greens, then a beet patty, and finally some caramelized onions. Smear some more hummus on the top half of the bun before capping off your burger.
- Dig in, and enjoy!
To make the hummus nut-free, substitute cashews with 2 tbsp tahini or sesame seed paste.
Nutrition info below is for the beet patty, caramelized onions and chipotle cashew hummus. Does not include greens and burger buns.