Most pasta dishes can be made fast enough, but this Speedy Brussels Sprouts Pasta with Olives comes together in just about the time it takes you to boil the pasta water and cook the pasta to al dente perfection, so about 20 minutes? Plus it's so flavorful and filling. A vegan, soy-free and nut-free recipe. Can be made with gluten-free pasta.
I always have cruciferous veggies like cauliflower, cabbage, kale and Brussels sprouts in the refrigerator because they are great to toss into all kinds of tasty vegan dishes. Very often, in my home, that dish is pasta.
Desi loves Brussels sprouts when I shred them thinly and add them to pasta, but for this dish I go a step further-- I add in some tasty kalamata olives for an unexpected, salty dash of flavor that works beautifully with the sprouts.
I am not exaggerating when I say this is a speedy recipe. It comes together in as much time as you need to cook your pasta. In fact, you can start prepping your veggies when you put the pot of pasta water to boil.
More Speedy Weeknight Pasta Recipes:
If you need a weeknight recipe that's healthy and delicious, this is a keeper. Jay loves it, so I can vouch it's kid-friendly-- at least my-kid-friendly. 🙂 I make it with whatever whole wheat pasta I have on hand, and I usually keep lots of fun, kid-friendly shapes in the pantry, like these shells (because kids will usually eat something if it looks fun, fact). A ribbon pasta like fettuccine would also be perfect.
Try it this week, and if you do, don't forget to tell me all about it.
Speedy Pasta with Brussels Sprouts and Olives
- 1 pound wholegrain pasta
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts (do the shredding in a food processor with the slicer blade, if possible. Much quicker than a knife.)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 cup kalamata olives (roughly chopped)
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup parsley (finely chopped)
- Zest of one lemon (optional)
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan or wok. Add the garlic and, when it is lightly brown, add the red pepper flakes and brussels sprouts. Stir, season with salt and pepper, and stir-fry for about 10 minutes or until the sprouts are tender but have a slight bite.
- Add the pasta with ½ cup of the cooking water along with the olives. Mix well and turn off the heat. Stir in the parsley and lemon zest and serve warm or at room temperature.