Here's a perfectly lovely Thanksgiving side to share with family and friends: my Roasted Hasselback Delicata Squash with rosemary and garlic and a delicious chili-maple glaze. It's a recipe that requires less than 10 minutes of prep, seven ingredients, and it looks so pretty, you'll be proud to show it off.
I woke up this morning -- after going to bed last night -- like many of you, with a sense of gloom and doom hanging over me. I was devastated as a woman and as a mom, not just for the loss of an able candidate and the chance to elect a woman to the White House, but by what seems right now like a loss of the values of compassion, kindness, and decency that we hold dear as Americans. But life isn't over by any means, most of us are not moving to Canada, as great as that would be, and I decided I was going to make my day better by getting up and doing everything I planned to do. Besides, there is some good news for animals coming out of these elections that we can celebrate.
I had found this recipe for roasted hasselback butternut squash in Bon Appetit but decided to adapt it to delicata squash because I love, love, love it. Partly because I am always looking for ways to save time with prep and with delicata I don't have to peel the squash which is a huge bonus. I also love the fact that the beautiful, striped skin makes this dish look even more elegant.
The delicata squash skin is not as tough as other winter squash skin but it is a bit of a challenge to cut into, so be sure you use a sharp knife when you slice it, and -- of course-- be careful. A sharp knife glides through the skin far easier than a blunt one would.
You'll be sure to get some applause when you bring this dish to the dinner table. Just don't tell anyone that it was easy as pie.
Looking for more vegan vegetable sides?
- Roasted Delicata Squash
- Curried Acorn Squash
- Herbed Pumpkin
- Braised Radishes with Lavender
- Roasted Golden Beets with Rosemary and Garlic
- Curry Roasted Cauliflower and Potatoes
- Easy Vegan Butternut Squash Gratin
Roasted Hasselback Delicata Squash
- 2 slices delicata squash (halved, and seeds removed with a spoon. Place the squash flat on a chopping board and cut into thin slices, making sure you don't go all the way through)
- 8 small sprigs rosemary
- 4-6 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoon hot sauce (like Sriracha)
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- Salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Place the oil, maple syrup, hot sauce and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Place the delicata squash in a baking dish, cut side down.
- Nestle the rosemary sprigs and the garlic within the sliced squash.
- Brush on some of the maple syrup-chili glaze.
- Place the baking dish in the oven and bake 15 minutes. Remove, baste with more of the glaze, and bake again for 15 more minutes. Baste again and repeat for another 15 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.