Delicata squash roasted to golden, buttery perfection with red onions and tempeh.
I couldn't be readier for Fall. For shorter days and longer evenings. For crisper, cooler weather that makes you want to go on long walks while the leaves fall softly around you.
For being able to turn on the oven without feeling like you're roasting your family.
This week, we have been lucky to get some Fall-like weather in our neck of the woods, and I celebrated by turning on the oven to make this Roasted Delicata Squash with Tempeh.
Delicata is a perfect squash for Fall: winter squash-y-like, but you can eat it, skin and all, like a summer squash. It's a looker: oval-faced, creamy skin defined by bold, vertical green stripes. The flavor is rich and sugary, and it only gets better with a dash or two of curry and some savory herbs.
Roasting up squashes makes me feel like I'm doing the right thing for my family, because what could all that fiber and Vitamin A be doing other than creating great health? And the recipe only gets healthier with the onions and tempeh and belly-warming spices. I think I could eat tempeh in any flavor, shape or form, but right here, in this dish, it roasts to golden perfection and cannot get more perfect.
So what else is special about this dish? It makes the whole house smell like heaven. I couldn't resist opening the oven a couple of times before the timer went off to sneak a taste.
The protein-rich tempeh makes this dish a meal by itself, but pile it on some crusty bread drizzled with olive oil for pure deliciousness. Or serve it as a side-- in fact, it would be perfect for Thanksgiving.
More winter squash recipes to try:
- Butternut Squash Farinata
- Pumpkin Spinach Lasagna
- Roasted Hasselback Delicata Squash
- Pappardelle with Creamy Butternut Sauce
- Velvety Herbed Pumpkin
- Curried Acorn Squash
More vegetable sides:
- Golden Beet Carrot Slaw
- Creamy Chipotle Green Beans
- Indian Style Potato Salad with Turmeric and Green Peas
- Turmeric Roasted Root Vegetables
- 15-minute Shredded Brussels Sprouts Stir-Fry
Roasted Delicata Squash with Tempeh
- 2 inch large delicata squash sliced lengthwise and then sliced horizontally into ¼--thick slices.
- 1 large onion cut into half and then sliced into half moons
- 1 8- oz package of tempeh cut into ½-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoon curry powder (can use garam masala also great here)
- 1 teaspoon coriander-cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped rosemary or coriander leaves for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the squash, tempeh and onions in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, curry powder, coriander-cumin powder, cayenne, lemon juice and salt.
- Drizzle over the squash, tempeh and onions and mix thoroughly to coat evenly with the spices.
- Spread the squash mixture on two baking sheets, in an even layer. Try not to crowd or overlap the squash.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the squash is lightly golden and cooked through.
- Remove and sprinkle on the coriander or rosemary leaves.
- Serve hot.