If golden, garlicky spuds are your idea of a heavenly side dish, you'll be grooving on these Garlicky Roasted Asparagus and Potatoes. The potatoes are crunchy on the outside and melt in your mouth, and the asparagus roasts up all juicy and crispy and perfectly al dente. A vegan, soy-free, gluten-free, nut-free recipe that takes just minutes to put together.
If your Spring market is full of asparagus and new potatoes, here's a delicious way to eat both of these fabulous veggies: my Garlicky Roasted Asparagus and Potatoes.
This is a really easy, kid-friendly side dish that takes just minutes to put together, and it goes with almost any entree you are serving up (it'd be especially fabulous with those Kidney Bean and Roasted Red Peppers Burger I shared earlier this week, or with my Vegan Wild Mushroom Lasagna). It even pairs up deliciously with rice and dal.
There are just a few simple, everyday ingredients that go into this recipe, besides the potatoes and asparagus, of course. All you need are red pepper flakes, garlic, olive oil, and rosemary.
Add salt and ground black pepper, of course, and you've got a recipe that's going to reward you with more flavor and deliciousness than you might be prepared for.
More Potato Recipes:
Jay, for some reason (other than he's nine!), is not crazy about asparagus, but this is one way I can get him to eat it and ask for more.
In fact, there is one thing I actually do not like about this recipe: there never are any leftovers so I can get out of cooking the next day. 😉
Garlicky Roasted Asparagus and Potatoes
- 15 to 20 new potatoes, halved (if the potatoes are really tiny, use more and leave them whole)
- 1 medium bunch (about 15 spears) asparagus
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed and then thinly sliced (crushing first helps the flavor spread around better!)
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoon rosemary (finely chopped. Sub with sage, or, if using dry herbs, use 2 teaspoon)
- Dash of ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil, red pepper flakes, herbs, black pepper, salt and garlic. Set aside while you prep the veggies.
- Toss the potatoes in half the herb-garlic mixture (you can do this in a bowl or by placing the potatoes and the herb-garlic mixture in a plastic bag and shaking it until the herbs have coated the potatoes). Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Toss the asparagus in the remaining herb-garlic mixture, in the same bowl or plastic bag you used for the potatoes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven, toss in the asparagus and give the potatoes a stir with the spatula. Place the baking sheet back in the oven and bake another 10 minutes or until asparagus is lightly golden-brown.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
This recipe card may contain affiliate links.