I love these little guys because they have a peppery flavor that goes nicely with Indian spices. This time, I substituted them for the pink lentils (masoor) I use to make Cauliflower Dal. They were so good, I am never making this dish without them again.
This dal makes a great weeknight meal with some boiled rice and subzi. The lentils cook quite fast and easily in my pressure cooker, although I guess they'd do pretty well too in a microwave because of their tiny size.
It's a busy weeknight so I'm going to stop nattering and get on with the recipe. Here we go!
Looking for more vegan Indian dal recipes?
Cauliflower Dal Recipe
Vegan | Gluten-Free | Soy-Free | Nut-Free
Cauliflower Dal with French Lentils
- 1 cup French Lentils , cooked in a pressure cooker or put in a microwave-safe bowl with enough water to cover the lentils, and microwaved until tender
- 1 medium head of cauliflower , separated into florets
- 1 red onion , sliced thinly
- 1- inch knob of ginger , grated
- 1 tbsp canola or vegetable oil
- 6 green cardamom pods , bruised
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- For tempering:
- 1 tsp vegetable or canola oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 5 cloves garlic , minced
- Heat the 1 tbsp vegetable oil and add cardamom
- Stir for a minute and add the onions.
- Fry on medium heat until the onions brown at the edges.
- Add the ginger and stir for a few seconds.
- Add the coriander powder, chilli powder and turmeric and stir to coat with oil.
- Add the cauliflower and salt to taste. Stir well, add ½ cup of water, cover and let cook until the cauliflower is tender.
- Add the lentils and stir well. Cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes. Check salt.
- Heat the oil for tempering. Add the cumin seeds and, when they sputter, add the garlic.
- Stir-fry the garlic until light brown. Pour the garlic-oil mixture on the dal.
- Garnish with coriander and serve hot with rice.