These tasty and healthy vegan and gluten-free multigrain pancakes are made with a mix of brown rice, millet and oat flours. They are fluffy and light and a terrific start to any day.
While making gluten-free foods, I have learned fast to steer away from the pre-mixed "all-purpose" gluten flours. These flours tend to have too strong a flavor and I prefer mixing my own flours to keep the taste as clean as possible.
For pancakes and waffles, the premixed flours also tend not to work because they have too much starch, like tapioca flour or potato flour, and they often contain xanthan gum. These ingredients make the pancakes and waffles rather gummy.
The mix of flours I use in this recipe is brown rice, millet and oat, all stirred together with almond milk (any nondairy milk is fine if you are nut-free).
They were light and fluffy and quite perfect.
Here's the recipe, all. Enjoy!
More vegan pancake recipes
- The Best Vegan Pancakes
- Vegan Gluten-Free Coconut Flour Pancakes
- Vegan Carrot Cake Pancakes
- Vegan Almond Pancakes
- Savory Vegan Pancakes
Vegan Gluten-Free Multigrain Pancakes
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- ½ cup millet flour
- ½ cup oat flour (oat flour is sometimes contaminated with gluten while processing, so be sure to buy one that is labeled gluten-free)
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups almond milk (or any nondairy milk)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp flax meal (whisked with 9 tbsp water)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, mix the flours with the baking powder and soda and salt using a wisk.
- Add the almond milk, vinegar, flaxmeal mixture and vanilla.
- Mix well. Don't worry about overmixing, because gluten-free flours do not toughen up the way wheat does when mixed.
- Heat a griddle and spray with a little oil. Pour about ¼ cup of batter on the griddle and let the pancake cook until bubbles appear around the sides and center, then flip and cook until the underside turns golden.
- Serve hot.