Delicious and whole wheat, these Vegan Banana Crumb Muffins make a great breakfast to start your day. Or eat them for a snack or even dessert. These moist, incredibly tasty little morsels will have you -- and your family -- begging for more. A vegan, nut-free, soy-free recipe.
With the warm weather already here, I bet you have a few overripe bananas waiting to be used up in your pantry. So what are you waiting for? Bake them up right now into these scrumptious and easy Vegan Banana Crumb Muffins. They are really great for anytime, but they make the perfect breakfast.
Bananas are a pretty magical fruit by themselves, packed as they are with potassium and fiber, and they have the power to make any baked good utterly delicious and special. Around here we love bananas baked into just about anything -- cakes, breads, puddings. If you can imagine it, chances are we've already made it.
But these muffins are a hot favorite hereabouts, because how can you not love something that's good for you but doesn't taste that way at all. In fact, these muffins are rather decadent. They have a tender, moist crumb and the topping -- slightly crunchy, cinnamon-y and sweet -- is to die for.
It takes under 15 minutes to put all the ingredients together, and chances are you have all of them in your pantry too, along with the bananas.
You don't really need anything to go with these muffins, but Jay loves a small pat of vegan butter because the salty-sweet combo is amazing. Hope you try 'em and if you do, don't forget to tell me you did!
More vegan baked goodies:
- Easy Vegan Buttermilk Drop Biscuits
- Orange Almond Breakfast Loaf
- Whole Wheat Burger Buns
- Vegan Cinnamon Rolls with Vanilla Cashew Glaze
- Vegan Banana Muffins
- Banana Dosa
Vegan Banana Crumb Muffins
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour (unbleached all purpose works too, or try half and half with all purpose flour and whole wheat flour)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 overripe bananas (mashed)
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ¾ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup avocado oil (or use any vegetable oil)
- ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tbsp vegan butter (cut into small pieces)
- 1 tbsp applesauce
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Make the crumb topping by mixing all the ingredients in a bowl until you have a crumbly texture. Set aside.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix all the wet ingredients in a bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix. Make sure you don't have any dry flour remaining at the bottom, but try not to overmix the batter.
- Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray. Divide the batter equally between the 12 cups.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping on top of each muffin.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack for 10 minutes, then unmold the muffins and serve.