I am one of those people who love Brussels sprouts. Yeah, one of those. A little weird, a little health-obsessed, a little, well, weird. But what’s not to love about these little green nuggets? They look super cute, as if someone had cast a spell on a head of cabbage and shrunk it. They taste divine, especially when they are cooked up so they are not too mushy nor too raw but just right. And, most of all, they just are so good for you.
Packed with protein, vitamins and fiber, Brussels sprouts help lower cholesterol and keep your heart fit. Better still, they belong to the cruciferous family of vegetables — along with cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, kale, collards, etc. — that are known to protect a body from cancer. How much more can you ask of a vegetable that’s no more than an inch tall?
One of my favorite ways to cook Brussels sprouts is to add them to pasta, like this Spaghetti with Brussels Sprouts recipe I posted a while back. But when I am pressed for time, my go-to recipe is to pop the sprouts into the oven and roast them to golden, delicious perfection. For all the amazing flavor you get from this recipe, it takes almost no time to make it.
This time I roasted the Brussels sprouts with some Mojo de Ajo — liquid gold olive oil infused with garlic and peppers– more slivers of garlic, and some rosemary. The double garlic whammy makes these Brussels sprouts super flavorful, but if you don’t have any Mojo de Ajo on hand or don’t want to make some, you could also just use regular extra virgin olive oil. Here’s my recipe for Mojo de Ajo (actually Rick Bayless’s).
Keep in mind that the garlic slivers tend to brown fast and can turn bitter, so you have to soak them in the oil first along with the rosemary and add them to the recipe only halfway through roasting.
Here’s the recipe. Until next time, all, and have a great weekend!
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- 1 tbsp mojo de ajo (oil part only), or extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- Salt to taste
- Mix 1 tsp of the oil, garlic and rosemary and set aside for 15-30 minutes.
- In a bowl,mix the remaining oil, Brussels sprouts, salt and pepper. Spread the sprouts on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Roast the Brussels sprouts for 35 minutes. About 15 minutes into the baking, sprinkle the oil-infused garlic and rosemary over the sprouts and stir slightly to mix. Continue roasting.
- Serve hot or cold. These are so delicious, I pop them into my mouth like candy.