I've blogged about my eggplant hummus with za'atar recipe, made with the traditional chickpeas. But today I wanted to introduce you to a different version of hummus that's just as delicious and extremely healthy: Black Bean Hummus with Olives.If you have visited this blog before, you know that I focus on foods that are healthy as well as delicious.
While I don't obsess with fat and don't believe in cutting it out of meals altogether, I do try to ensure that the fats my family does consume, in limited quantities, are healthy, unsaturated ones. After all, our bodies do need some fat to function effectively and unsaturated fats are even believed to reduce cholesterol levels. Plus, who're we kidding, they add a zing to most foods.
One of the big advantages of a vegan lifestyle is, the fats you eat tend to be free of cholesterol and, usually, saturated fats, which are predominant in animal products.
This black bean hummus contains fats from both olive oil and olives, which as we know is a healthy fat and actually good for your heart.
And black beans, of course, are super-nutritious with loads of cholesterol-reducing dietary fiber, and protein. What's more, they are packed with more antioxidants than any other bean.
This hummus tastes great with some pita bread or even with crudites. Put it out at a party and I promise you, it will be gone before you know it!
Black Bean Hummus with Olives
- 3 cups black beans (canned or cooked)
- 14 oz black olives
- ¼ cup tahini
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 large cloves garlic , chopped
- 1 tsp cayenne (use less or more based on your preference. Or sub paprika for less heat)
- ½ cup parsley (chopped)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Put all ingredients except the salt and olive oil in a food processor. With the motor running, drizzle in the olive oil until the ingredients form a smooth paste.
- Add some water if the mixture is too thick. Add salt to taste.
- Remove to a bowl.
- Sprinkle with some red pepper and a few drops of olive oil as a garnish.
- Serve with pita bread or crudites.