If you're cooking for a crowd tomorrow, you are going to absolutely, positively love this Giant Banana Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie that comes together in minutes. And it tastes so good, you might be tempted to keep it all to yourself.
I love baking delicious vegan cookie recipes and with a seven-year-old at home there is a great demand for them. But I am also a huge lazybones when it comes to doing just about anything, and cleaning large cookie sheets that don't fit into the dishwasher is at the top of that list. The idea of a giant cookie that I could bake in my cast-iron skillet sounded blissful, and even better, it really tickled Jay who couldn't wait to see it-- and dig into it. "Mom, be sure to put a bazillion chocolate chips in the cookie," he made me promise before falling asleep last night.
This Giant Vegan Banana Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie doesn't have a bazillion chocolate chips, but it is studded with as many as a chocoholic's heart may desire, and then some more. It also has the subtle, addictive hint of banana, which is always a huge plus in our home. And the best part for a mom: it's part whole wheat.
You don't have to use a cast-iron skillet if you don't have one, a nonstick one is fine, but make sure it's oven-safe. And let the cookie cool in the skillet before you slide it out.
It's Saturday afternoon and there's a Matlock marathon on TV so I will run now. Hope you have a wonderful weekend. If you're watching the game, may your team win!
Vegan Banana Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup unrefined sugar like turbinado
- ¾ cup coconut or other vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 very ripe banana
- 1 ½ cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix the flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- In a stand mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat together the oil, sugar and molasses for a minute.
- Add the banana and vanilla extract and continue to beat until well incorporated.
- Now add in the flour and the chocolate chips and mix just until the dough comes together.
- Spray some oil on a 10-inch cast-iron skillet. Put the cookie dough in the skillet and using your fingers press it evenly into the skillet.
- Bake for 42 minutes. Remove the cookie to a wire rack and let it cool completely before sliding the cookie out of the skillet. Cut into wedges. Dunk in some almond milk or eat it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.